Anchoring stuff in Space
Throwing stuff into outer space is all kinds of fun already, but for bonus points some objects can be anchored so they'll stick around for a while - password protected containers are all kinds of neat, and this will show you how to launch one!
Start out by assembling a space-worthy container - such as a Small Secure Container. You can't do this in your ship, so assemble it before you leave! Get to your target spot in space and get ready to toss it out the air lock:
Launching for Self is not so much the selfish thing it sounds like - anybody with the password can open it, and if you launch for corp only particular corp members can anchor / unanchor it. Not sure you even get special rights yourself.
After launching the container, you want to anchor it in space before it decays (well, you have two hours) or gets scooped up by somebody else (LOOK BEHIND YOU!), so spot where it went and right click that bad boy:
Anchoring the container will take 60 seconds and cannot be done in 0.8+ sec systems or within 5km of another object, or within 25km of a POS.
Now your big floating box is safe in space, but its contents are not - yet. Time to set a password:
Make sure you set the password after the container is anchored, or bad things may happen
Now don't forget what containers are for! Open the container and enter your password. Best leave something yummy in there.
Other Stuff That Can Be Anchored
You can anchor a container with Anchoring level I. If you are wondering why you might wish to train this further, here is a survey of other things you can anchor:
- Secure Containers (Level 1)
- Most Player Owned Structure (POS) Structures (control towers, laboratories, maintenance arrays, refineries, etc.) require Level 1, however
- ECM Projection Battery (Level 3) (Ion Field/White Noise Generator/Spacial Destabilization/Phase Inversion)
- Reactor Arrays (Level 2)
- Shield Hardening Arrays (Level 2)
- Warp Bubbles: The bigger it is and higher tech level, the higher anchoring skill you will need, ranging from
- Mobile Small Warp Disruptor I (Level 2)
- Mobile Small Warp Disruptor II (Level 3)
- Mobile Large Warp Disruptor I (Level 4)
- Mobile Large Warp Disruptor II (Level 5)