|This page should be updated due to game changes. Reason: The Ascension update changed the mechanics of boosting. Might need to reconsider the job of BYOC boss|
So you've found yourself handed boss of the BYOC and you have no idea what you're doing? Not to worry! We've made this very short page on everything you need to understand about running a BYOC. Here you will learn about fleet boosts propagation and general BYOC management duties.
The most important thing in a BYOC is ensuring that the boosts stay active. While you can manually trigger boosts for each cycle to extend the life of each burst charge to a maximum of 2 minutes, it is recommended that you leave the burst modules permanently active, firing bursts once per minute, this will give new comers a shorter wait time and avoids the risk of you forgetting to manually trigger the burst.
With the Ascension update, all boosting has become 'on-grid', this means that the boosting pilot must be present in the same location as the miners they are boosting. Range of the boosts provided depend on the fleet support skills of the boosting pilot, and therefore boosters should learn at least wing command IV to ensure boosts can reach newer pilots mining in Ventures. The position within the fleet window of the booster is no longer relevant i.e. the booster does not to be in a squad/wing/fleet command position for boosts to be effective.
- Ensure miners are aware of your boosting range, have this in the BYOC/Shared Can Message of the Day
- Check ammo levels and ensure a good stock is present in the cargo hold and not the fleet hangar
The booster should not be assumed to be the fleet boss, nor be solely responsible for issuing invites to new miners. An ideal BYOC fleet structure will have at least 2 squads and be set to 'free move'. This enables any member of the fleet to move into an available squad commander position and issue an invite to a new 'X up', that member can then move themselves back to a squad member role.
As boss, you will have a couple simple duties to ensure that the BYOC lasts as long as possible:
- Ensure that the booster is passing boosts. If the booster disconnects, or boosts drop for some reason, it is your job to ensure that the necessary troubleshooting is done to get boosts back up. Most AMC members use the AMC Slack and often you will be able to contact a booster here if they are not responding in game or on Mumble. If you are unable to restore boosts, it is perfectly acceptable to remove the booster from the boosting position and ask in AMC Ops for a new booster.
- Advertise the BYOC sparingly in AMC Ops (a simple "BYOC [OPSEC], ♠ up for invite" will do) and send out invites to those who ask. Inviting is simple, just right click their name and "invite to fleet"
- Ensure that free move is on for the fleet, and advise the BYOC members that if you do not see an invite in AMC Ops, they can send out the invite by moving themselves into the squad leader position of an empty squad
- Update the MOTD of the fleet. Clicking the gear icon in fleet chat allows you to "change channel settings" where you can edit the MOTD. This can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it, but at the very least should include the name of the current booster and the system that the boosts are being provided in. Other things to consider adding are a list of which belts are currently occupied and which belts have been completely mined out (depleted), a list of the values of the belts (obtained via survey scans), and any other pertinent fleet information such as war target activity.
BYOC in [System] Booster: [Name] Fleet is in free move, feel free to move yourself into squad leader position of the hauler squad to invite miners. Occupied Belts: ♦ Depleted Belts: ♦
|Mining · Ice Mining · Gas Cloud Mining|
|Mining frigate||Mining barge||Exhumer||Industrial|
Asteroids and Ore
AMC Search & Rescue Operations
|EVE University Amarr Mining Campus (AMC)|
| AMC Buy-Back · AMC Refining · AMC Forum · AMC Application Form|
· Mining Profitability Sheet