|This is a deprecated class syllabus, intended as historical record for the teaching department.
Creating syllabi is no longer our process for new classes, and no classes in the syllabus library are considered current. They are here for historical purposes only, as well as an optional starting point for designing new classes. Please do not assume any of the classes you find here have slides, or have even been taught for many years. If you do use information in a syllabus, ensure that you have brought it up to date with contemporary EVE.
This is a syllabus for the Bookmarking 101 class provided by EVE University. This section contains information about this class and its contents. General Information includes materials to create a proper class listing on the EVE University forum. Additional resources and teaching tips are listed under Notes for the Teacher.
Illustration link for class description on the Eve University forum:
Text for an advertisement for this class on the EVE University forum:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fuE4X2o.png[/img] This course is designed for pilots who wish to learn more about creating and managing bookmarks. [color=#00FFFF]When:[/color] Saturday, 25 November, 1300 EVE Time [color=#00FFFF]Where:[/color] Mumble and Lecture.E-UNI [color=#00FFFF]Duration:[/color] 45 minutes and an additional 45 minutes for the optional practical exercise [color=#00FFFF]Topics Covered:[/color] [list][*] What are bookmarks [*] How to create bookmarks [*] Types of bookmarks [*] Organizing and managing bookmarks [*] Q&A [*] Practical exercise (optional)[/list] [color=#00FFFF]Student requirements:[/color] [list][*]Public Mumble registration and access - make sure you have Mumble sorted out and operational well before the class begins. Use this guide for set-up: [url]http://eveuni.org/publicmumble[/url] [*]Access to the Lecture.E-UNI in-game chat channel [*]A suitable ship, preferably a fast cheap T1 frigate for the optional practical exercise.[/list] Additional information: This class is primarily lecture, delivered in public Mumble and the Lecture.E-UNI channel, followed by Q&A. There is an optional practical component.
This course is designed for pilots who wish to learn more about creating and managing bookmarks.
- Duration: 45 minutes and an additional 45 minutes for the optional practical exercise
- Location: Docked up safely in a station
- What are bookmarks
- How to create bookmarks
- Types of bookmarks
- Organizing and managing bookmarks
- Practical exercise (optional)
- Mumble registration and access - make sure you have Mumble sorted out and operational well before the class begins. Use this guide for set-up.
- Access to the Lecture.E-UNI in-game chat channel
- A suitable ship, preferably a fast cheap T1 frigate for the optional practical exercise
Additional information: This class is primarily lecture delivered in the Lecture.E-UNI chat channel and in the EVE University Classrooms section of our Public Mumble, followed by Q&A. An optional practical exercise follows.
Notes for the Teacher
- Lecture.E-UNI chat channel, to receive questions and post relevant links
- Describe any ships, fittings, modules, or tools required to have on hand, if needed
Welcome to this class on Bookmarking!
This course is designed primarily for pilots who wish to learn more about bookmarks, or locations.
Over the next hour or so, we shall cover what bookmarks are, how to create them, the different types of bookmarks, and how to use and manage them.
(Instructor should then introduce himself or herself - covering relevant experience level and background.)
We have a few ground rules for this class:
- Please put your Mumble settings on "Push to Talk" if you have not already done so.
- Feel free to type any questions in the Lecture.E-UNI chat channel as we proceed - I will try to answer your questions as they come during the class. [At the end of my lecture, we'll open Mumble for any further questions or general discussion.]
- You should be docked up safely in a station.
Everyone ready? OK, then - let's begin....
What Are Bookmarks?
- Bookmarks identify unique locations in space:
- Places such as station instant warpout points, observation points, off-grid and other tactical locations.
- Objects such as wrecks, Player Owned Starbases, jetcans, etc.
- Safe spots such as in-line or mid safes, unaligned safes and deep safes.
- The basic bookmarks you all should be familiar with will be discussed in more detail later in this class.
- Emphasize that players can only warp to fleetmates, celestials, bookmarks, and certain types of objects if the player can see them already on Overivew (such as Sentry Guns, Wrecks, and Large Collidable Objects). Therefore, having bookmarks means having more warping options.
- Two basic methods of creating bookmarks:
- Bookmark your location from the "People & Places" window.
- The location of your ship in the moment you click submit is saved as the bookmark
- Select an item from space or the overview and bookmark it.
- Note that in the second method, if the object is moved or destroyed, the bookmark will indicate it's original position in space.
- Bookmark your location from the "People & Places" window.
- Bookmark Shortcut - CTRL + B
- Enter a meaningful name and description to help you remember the position
Types of Bookmarks
- There are many types of bookmarks
- These are the basic bookmarks:
- Station Undocks (Where undocking ships appear)
- Instant Undocks (Instant Warpouts)
- Station & Citadel Docks
- Safe Spots
- In-line Safe Spots
- Un-aligned Safe Spots
- Deep Safe Spots (mention the Rolling Safe tactic)
- Scouting Safe Spots
- Tactical Bookmarks
- Observation Bookmark
- Off Grid Bookmark
- (Note to teachers: Grid half-extent increased to 8,000km, see https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/grid-sizes-you/ )
- Other Tactical Bookmarks
- PvE Bookmarks
- Mining bookmarks
- Mission Sites
- Wormhole entry/exit (Off-grid bookmarking of WH is dangerous, lands you 5 km away)
Organizing and Managing Bookmarks
- Labelling Bookmarks
- There are many methods of labelling bookmarks
- Agony Unleashed Style
- Simpler Style
- Important that label contains enough information to identify the location as well as be simple enough to be recognizable in stressful situations.
- Bookmark Folders
- Showing / Hiding Bookmarks in space
- Copying and Sharing Bookmarks
- Limit of 500 Corporate BMs, Personal BMs unlimited
- Thanks for attending this class!
- I would appreciate any feedback from people on how to improve the class
- Any Additional Questions ?
- Hostile Station Safety
- Demonstrate instant warp off bookmark
- Demonstrate instant dock bookmark
- Make sure everyone has their default folder set to Personal Locations
- Create instant dock bookmark
- Create instant warp off bookmark
- Create mid-warp spots
- Create an unaligned safe spot.
- Have students warp to the in-line spot 1 they created.
- Create a mid-safe between spot 1 and spot 2
- Label it in the labeling method they prefer
- See results
- Have students open the System Map
- On the World Map Control Panel > Solar System Map tab, make sure first column in Location is unchecked
- They should be able to see the 3 bookmarks they just made as little pins on the map
- They should also be able to see the bookmarks they just made in space
- Additional practice: Let them practice making instant undocks, observation bookmarks and other bookmarks and answer any questions for a reasonable amount of time.