EVE Lore - Sites of New Eden
|This is a depcrecated class syllabus, intended as historical record for the teaching department.
Creating syllabi is no longer our process for new classes, and no classes in the syllabus library are considered current. They are here for historical purposes only, as well as an optional starting point for designing new classes. Please do not assume any of the classes you find here have slides, or have even been taught for many years. If you do use information in a syllabus, ensure that you have brought it up to date with contemporary EVE.
This chapter contains the standard information of this class pertaining to scheduling and class contents. The General Information should be sufficient to create a proper class topic for scheduling on the Eve University forum. Additional information relevant to the teacher is listed under Notes for the Teacher.
This syllabus was developed for use as a guest lecture to the UNI by Mark726 - moderator of the EVE Travel website: http://evetravel.wordpress.com/
Illustration link for class description on the Eve University forum: http://evetravel.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/2009-12-02-00-41-53.jpg
Duration: 45 minutes to an hour Location: Docked up safely in any station.
Most people who play EVE focus on the ships, and the other players - and with good reason. EVE is rich in its own history of the players who have forged the game that we play today.
But it’s easy to forget that there’s an entirely different side to EVE: a side rich with the storyline surrounding the intricate history of New Eden, forged by both capsuleers and non-capsuleers. Throughout New Eden, bits and pieces of this story can be found throughout the cluster. This lecture is meant to introduce you to some of the more interesting historical sites that can be found in New Eden.
Class contents: - Introduction - Why do we have landmarks in EVE? - What do you need to see the sites? - Fascinating sites in New Eden - Q&A
Student requirements: - Mumble registration and access - make sure you have Mumble sorted out and operational well before the class begins. Use this guide for set-up: Mumble - Access to the Class.E-UNI in-game chat channel
Notes for the Teacher
- Class.E-UNI chat channel, to receive questions and post relevant links
- Useful links:
- EVE Travel: http://evetravel.wordpress.com/
- Shattered Planets Datacore: http://interstellarprivateer.wordpress.com/shattered-planets-datacore/
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to New Eden: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/Ken/The_Hitchhikers_Guide_to_New_Eden_v0.91.pdf
Welcome to this class on the various landmarks around New Eden and the best ways to visit them! This course is designed for those who are interested more in the background and lore surrounding New Eden, as well as those interested in what all of those beacons scattered across the cluster may be about. Over the next hour or so, we'll discuss some of the interesting sites you can visit in New Eden - and why you might want to go see them.
(Instructor should then introduce himself or herself - covering relevant experience level and background.)
We have a few ground rules for this class:
- Please put your Mumble settings on "Push to Talk" if you have not already done so.
- Feel free to type any questions in the Class.E-UNI chat channel as we proceed - I will try to answer your questions as they come during the class. [At the end of my lecture, we'll open Mumble for any further questions or general discussion.]
- You should be docked up safely in a station.
Everyone ready? OK, then - let's begin....
Why do we have landmarks in New Eden?
Here I’ll give a brief background on the history of the Cluster. For those interested in hearing the stories in more depth, there are plenty of resources available (recommend The Hitchhikers Guide)
- New Eden’s colonization
- Actually the year 24,000 something.
- Came through the EVE gate (below), colonized, Dark Ages
- Some civilizations lived on, others died out.
- Eventually, 5 different empires re-emerged
- Jove isolation
- Amarr conquest of Minmatar
- Gallente-Caldari War
- The landmarks around the cluster give the history both of these events and many, many more. Act as a reminder of this history of the entire cluster.
What do you need to see the landmarks in New Eden?
Before we get to the actual sites, I wanted to say a bit about what skills and ships you may want to go explore these sites. I’ll split it up into high sec, low sec, and null sec areas.
- High sec landmarks
- For many of these sites, just about any ship will do.
- Some combat may be needed in some of these sites though, so some investigation before hand may help.
- Either through EVE Travel or the eve wiki
- Low security space
- Here, I like to use my covops ship if at all possible
- It’s somewhat high skill, so planning out may be helpful. Also expensive. (ship and cloak run about 70-80 million)
- Worth it though! Let’s you warp while cloaked.
- Small and fast is your best bet, but remember don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose
- You could run into no one along the way, or you could run into gangs. Hard to predict, unfortunately.
- Null security space
- Probably the most difficult sites to visit, but there’s not too much out there.
- Use a interdiction-nullifier/cloaky t3.
- This is super expensive, though, and can run about a billion isk.
- Covops will work here too, but watch for bubbles
- Slowboating out of the bubble and trying to avoid decloakers
- Warp to planet, then to gate.
- A small group may make these journeys more entertaining, and try to ensure that at least some get away
- I would NOT recommend this for newer players, but feel free to talk to me if you want to give it a try.
- Eve Gate
- Where it all started
- Tucked away at the end of a long chain of systems in Genesis
- Pirates are known to camp here
- The gate is impossible to miss
- Can’t warp though
- A few other things to see in the area
- Dead End V
- Central Point
- Violent wormhole (Incursions)
- Battle sites
- There’s a few of these spread out throughout the cluster
- Wrecks of massive capital ships can be seen, as well as battleships and smaller vessels
- Most of these can be found in high sec, and there’s generally no enemies to these, so it’s a safe visit in any ship
- Where can they be found:
- Sarum Prime
- T-IPZB (T-MOFA?)
- COSMOS sites
- Basically extended mission chains in a small corner of each empire
- Meant to give an extended storyline unique to each empire
- Most of these involve some impressive sites
- These can often have enemies in them, depending on the site, so be forewarned
- Amarr (Araz constellation)
- Revolves around the bureaucracy of the Empire
- Minmatar (Ani constellation)
- Revolves around the fight of the Minmatar against the Amarr
- Gallente (Algintal constellation)
- Revolves around preserving some environmental wonders and working with the Caldari
- Caldari (Okkelen constellation)
- The seedier underside of the State
- Other sites worth noting
- Some sites can be seen on the map, and are often worth a visit
- Malkalen (station)
- A ship rammed into the side of a station, blowing it up
- Damage is visible to this day
- Still works as a station
- Steve (C9N-CC)
- Out in null sec
- But first Titan ever built in game, and the first one killed
- Shattered planets
- Easiest one to find is in Seyllin
- Always the first planet
- Only 10
- See the Datacore by Rhavas for more info
- Choonka’s Ship wash
- Personal favorite of mine
- Hidden at Ashab 2 Moon 1
- Thanks for attending this class!
- I would appreciate any feedback from people on how to improve the class
- Questions ?
[* Practical exercise: ....]