|This is a syllabus for a class, intended primarily for the teaching staff.
Teachers should review all information for accuracy before preparing or presenting a class.
|This syllabus was reviewed and is up-to-date (Teshub Nandos - Feb 15, 2017)|
This chapter contains the standard information of this class pertaining to scheduling and class contents. The general information should be sufficient to create a proper class topic for scheduling on the Eve University forums. Additional information relevant to the teacher is listed under Notes for the teacher.
Duration: 01:00 – 01:30
Location: Any High-Sec system is recommended. Trainees should be safely docked in station throughout the lecture, and are encouraged to dock out and attempt finding and scanning a Cosmic Signature after Practical part of the Class.
Class contents: What is it? What is in it? What is in it for me? How do I start? I am ready! Probe Scanner is your Friend! Scanning and Hacking practice Exploration „Rules”
- Presence in Lecture.E-Uni chat channel
Recommended for Practical part:
- Astrometrics II or higher
- Exploration frigate fitted with a probe launcher and probes
Notes for the teacher
- Lecture.E-Uni channel
- Nearby system with 1 or more signatures for the students to scan down OR ability to stream your own Scanning and Hacking attempts for trainees to follow
- Slides http://slides.eveuniversity.org/?slidesID=248
Teachers should not just recite this document. Make sure to read it thoroughly, use its structure as a guide for the structure of your class, but also make sure to be aware of some finer details of beginner exploration. If you plan on teaching this class repeatedly, please make a note of the frequently asked questions and add them, including the answer, to the end of this document.
What is it?
Exploration and exploration are two sides of similar coin. "exploration" is the act of traveling between star systems and exploring existing Cosmic Anomalies and/or other points of interest present in space. "Exploration" is a set of activities allowing you to scan down / pint-point locations of otherwise unknown Cosmic Signatures. When entering a system you will be able to see the number of available Cosmic Anomalies and Cosmic Signatures in system. Cosmic Anomalies give you ability to Jump to them straight away, where scanning is needed to reveal more information about the Cosmic Signature sites. The stronger the signal the more information is available - learning the site type at 25%, it's name at 75% and an exact warp-in location at 100%.
What is in it?
- Combat sites - are usually filled with NPC enemies, with difficulty depending on system Security Status. They may contain major loot or Faction items. It's best to search online what are the recommended ships and fittings.
- Ore sites - contain Ores (and sometimes Ice) not usually found in the Asteroid Belts native to the region of space you are in. For example it is possible to find Low-Sec ores in High Sec in an Anomaly.
- Ghost sites - contain Covert Research facilities, usually in a form of 4 containers that are difficult to hack and first fail causes “can” to explode. Regardless of success in hacking with 2 min from warping to the site (timer is hidden) NPC gang will show up, immediately blow up remaining containers and engage player.
- Faction Warfare locations – need a description here.
There are six types of Cosmic Signature:
- Combat sites – similar to Anomalies but harder and more rewarding.
- Gas Sites - contain clouds of Harvestable Gas that can be gathered in an appropriately outfitted ship. In a Wormhole, do not warp to the site unless you are immediately prepared to collect the gas, since warping to the site starts a 15 minute timer after which Sleepers will arrive to defend the site.
- Ghost sites - similar to Anomalies.
- Relic / Data Sites - these sites contain containers that you can perform Hacking on to get the contents of the cans as loot. If the site name contains a Pirate faction name (Angel / Guristas / Serpentis etc) then there will be no NPC rats there at warp in. In a wormhole, a site with "Unsecured" or "Forgotten" in the name will have Sleepers waiting for you at warp in - be prepared in an appropriate combat ship.
- Wormholes - are not covered in this class, but remind the class to bookmark the exit if they ever enter one! Wormholes come in many different types and have many different characteristics, suggest Class to read up wiki page on Wormholes.
What is in it for me?
- Fighter – Explorer can encounter few troubles other than site NPCs. Beware gankers, as sometimes ships and fittings needed for a given site can be expensive fittings. On the other side the loot / salvage including Faction items can be very profitable.
- Miner – Explorer will encounter NPCs in Ore/Gas sites, first ones can be killed with drones in HighSec, others needs to be avoided, so when the hidden timer runs out (15mins) warp out. Ore sites can be profitable but depending a lot on the Ores you find, where Gases and specially Wormhole ones are very profitable. As always beware of gankers.
- Hacker - Explorer Beware gankers, beware gankers, beware gankers. You are paper thin in your hull. With all that dangers in mind even in HighSec the loot value can vary between 10k to 20m range. There are many explorers active in high traffic systems so it can be hard to find a good stretch of systems containing sites.
How to I start?
Ship Each of the factions has its own Tier1 Exploration ship. Why Exploration – because both the <faction> Frigate skill and Role Bonus support Scanning and Hacking activities. Fresh character will have already Spaceship Command I trained hence just spending 24min on “<Faction> Frigate I” skill enables one to undock with a chosen Frigate. Obviously recommendation is level IV which should take around 2 days giving hefty +30% to probe strength.
Equipment - Required
- Core Probe Launcher I and Core Probes – High Slot - Launcher enables you to launch probes – simple. Probes enable you to scan down Cosmic Signatures which is the essence of Exploration. Requirements are automatically met by newly created character – all of the skill levels are enough to equip both.
- Relic Analyzer I – Medium Slot - allows you to attempt a hack on Relic containers. All skills are met by newly created character. Each additional skill level in Archeology, a skill directly connected to Relic hacking, increase your Hack Virus coherence. More on that later.
- Data Analyzer I – Medium Slot - allows you to attempt a hack on Data containers. All skills are met by newly created character. Each additional skill level in Hacking, a skill directly connected to Data hacking, increase your Hack Virus coherence. Again more on that later.
Equipment – Recommended
- 5MN Microwarpdrive I – Medium Slot - again skills for this equipment are met by the newly created character :) how convenient. There are many versions of MWD since for beginner explorer the only important is the speed boost when travelling within Data/Relic sites (the distances between containers can be around 100km) just pick the one you can fit and buy easily. Can be replaced by Afterburner but MWD gives a bigger speed boost.
- Scan Rangefinding Array I – If you have any empty Medium Slots in your Frigate I suggest filling them up with those babies. They directly improve your scan strength, we are very close to explain what is it :) please bear with me. Newly created character will need to skill up Astrometric Rangefinding II which takes little above 5h.
- Inertia Stabilizers / Nanofiber Internal Structure I – Low Slot – there are many schools on what to put in here as Explorer. With time you might change your approach as it suit you, but for beginners I strongly suggest to equip set/mix of these to achieve Align Time breaking points, we are aiming and either very close to, but for sure below 3 or 4 second (2,97 or 3,87). Nanofibers are better because they also increase ship’s speed but align time is the key factor here.
Exploration itself is a fairly skill-light profession, only Astrometrics absolutely necessary but this will only allow the scanning of very basic sites, but hey this is where we all started.
- Astrometrics – key skill in Exploration. It improves all three key attributes important to exploration.
Scan Strength – how strong is your probes signal to pinpoint location of signature. Although this number is hidden each signature has a minimum strength required to get it to 100%. Max Deviation – this parameter governs the deviation of the signal you see on your solar system map from where actually the signature is positioned. If you have this skill higher the smaller size of probe scanning sphere can be used when pinpointing red dots, will explain this during practical. With -100% in Max Deviation you would always see an exact spot of the signature even if only 1 probe “hit” it. Probe Scan time – How long it takes from the “analysis” to complete.
- Astrometric Rangefinding – increase scan strength, as mentioned on previous slide it is worth to get it at least to II
- Astrometric Acquisition – further decrease analyze time
- Astrometric Pinpointing – further decreasing max deviation – Omega Clone only skill.
Beyond finding the exact locations of the signatures you will come across Data and Relic site which as an Explorer you want to exploit by hacking the containers inside. To do so you need equipment mentioned earlier, but with some skills you can improve your chances at success.
- Archaeology - Allows you to access Relic loot containers, each skill level increase Virus coherency for Relic hacks.
- Hacking – Allows you to access Data loot containers, each skill level increase Virus coherency for Data Hacks.
Your virus is used for hacking, which I will explain a bit in a moment, but to improve your virus status you need to: Be in exploration ship +5 to Virus strength. Have both Data and Relic Analyzers equipped +20 Virus Strength and + 40 Virus Coherence
This slide show you what you need to “invest” when starting your career as Explorer. As you see in the example Buy baskets is not a lot. Below 1kk ISK you are good to go for High Sec possibly some Low Sec exploration. At this point I would strongly suggest not fit any Rigs in your ship as it will increase the investment to around 3kk ISK with improvement not worth the buck $ at this point. Once you get some experience and be able to successfully escape few gankers – this will be a good point to add rigs to your setup. I did not show “Probe” ship buy basket here as module selection is identical with Imicus.
I am ready!
What you as a player need to know to start your Exploration journey.
- You need to be able to quite efficiently navigate your ship to understand where you are on the map, where do you want to go, which Gate to take etc., this includes warping to x in 100 km etc.
- Basic ship command requires you to be able to efficiently control your ship modules – so you don’t forget to reload your Core Probe Launcher with probes after you release them (it is always good to have a spare set). You need to control your Microwarpdrive when approaching containers so you are not sling-shooted when entering can’s orbit (in 2500m). Note – after equipping you Analyzers and first undock – make sure you set them to “Do not Auto-repeat”
- Bookmarks – you need to know how to create proper bookmarks (from you Overview and Probe Scanner) and how to use them.
- Overview – you need to setup your Overview to E-Uni standards, this will ensure that you see what you are supposed to see and enemies / war targets are highlighted properly.
Hacking game – so this is how the hacking game looks like, on next slide we will this all the items you see here in details, although you already hear about the Virus in lower left corner. From this picture just take how Explored and Unexplored Nodes look like as we will mention them later.
On this page you can see the helpful (left side) tools and defensive systems (right).
- Kernel Rot - reduces a target subsystem’s Coherence by 50%. Mainly to use on Defensive systems with High Coherence 80+
- Secondary Vector - reduces a target’s Coherence by 20 with each hit. It has 3 charges where first one is released on use, and two other required an action, which preferable should be selecting unexplored node.
- Polymorphic Shield - prevent the next two instances of damage done to your virus. Good for taking down subsystems with high Strength 40+
- Self Repair - increase your Virus Coherence by a variable amount, it has three “charges”: the first is consumed immediately after use, and the next two are automatically used after your next two actions in the system (i.e., exploring a node, attacking a subsystem). Always use a Self Repair as soon as you find it – as it actually gives your virus coherence and not repair what you previously lost.
- Restoration Nodes - show up in more difficult hacks. Each turn they are active, they will give extra coherence to one random uncovered defensive subsystems. Incredibly nasty.
- Anti-Virus subsystems have low coherence, but high strength. Firewalls have high coherence, but low strength.
- Virus Suppressor subsystem Halves your Virus Strength while active, which means previously 30 virus str is now 15. If possible kill it with Secondary Vector otherwise click it away.
- Data Caches act a bit like a “treasure chest.” They can contain either a “treasure” (a useful tool), or a “trap” (a particularly nasty Defensive Subsystem). Data Caches have to be manually opened after being exposed (single-click them), so you can safely leave the decision as to whether or not to chance their activation until later on in your hacking attempt.
- System Core - The System Core operates a lot like a Defensive Subsystem, with the major difference that disabling it will successfully complete the hack. The System Core typically has a lot of Coherence and only 10 strength. The color of the System Core reflects the difficulty of the container: Green for easy; Orange for medium; Red for hard.
On this slide we explain how to open up a system view from Probe Scanner (which is open with Alt+P combination)
Scanning and Hacking practice
Scanning Practice. Try to explain as shown here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1L0NA_piLg
- Be safe – even in Highsec always scan from a safe spot – what exacly is that is explained in Bookmark wiki I mentioned before.
- Come prepared – make sure all exploration modules are fitted to your ship, make sure you have 16 probes, 8 in the launcher and another set for reload, and make sure your ship is repaired. We don’t expect to be hit but when you do it is better to escape with 10 hull hp then to be already dead, every little bit counts.
- Expect to lose your ship, there will be people hunting for explorers even in High sec, they might now the game better than you, be better prepared than you or you might
- Boldly go where no one has gone before :) this is just a suggestion to Explore in system with no one else beside you, which almost guratanee your's safety
- Q&A - Check if any outstanding questions are present from the Class and remind to leave feedback through the "Class Feedback" form.