Introduction to Incursions
|This is a depcrecated class syllabus, intended as historical record for the teaching department.
Creating syllabi is no longer our process for new classes, and no classes in the syllabus library are considered current. They are here for historical purposes only, as well as an optional starting point for designing new classes. Please do not assume any of the classes you find here have slides, or have even been taught for many years. If you do use information in a syllabus, ensure that you have brought it up to date with contemporary EVE.
|This page should be updated due to game changes. Reason: fits/plans/etc need an overhaul|
This is a syllabus for a class provided by EVE University. This section contains information about this class and its contents. General Information includes materials to create a proper class listing on the EVE University forum. Additional resources and teaching tips are listed under Notes for the Teacher.
Illustration link for class description on the Eve University forum: http://xxx.jpg
This class is an introductory lecture about Incursions in EVE. The purpose of this class is to give students a basic idea of what Incursions are and what the basic requirements to start running incursions are. Topics covered
- Duration: Approximately 60 minutes/1 hour [This depends on the Q&A session after the lecture]
- Location: Docked up is preferable. There is no practical, students are only required to be on mumble.
- Incursions - What are they and how do you get into them?
- E-UNI public Mumble server registration - make sure you have Mumble sorted out and operational well before the class begins. See http://eveuni.org/publicmumble for instructions.
- Access to the Lecture.E-UNI in-game chat channel
- Evemon (only applicable if you would like skill plans) 
Additional information: This class may be recorded.
Notes for the Teacher
- Access to the E-UNI public Mumble server: http://eveuni.org/publicmumble
- Access to Lecture.E-UNI chat channel, to receive questions and post relevant links
- List any relevant links to teacher's references on the wiki or other resources, if needed
- Describe any ships, fittings, modules, or tools required to have on hand, if needed
This class is designed to introduce students to the basics of incursions and not a class on how sites work or other advanced concepts. These concepts are covered in the Incursion 101 class.
Welcome to this class, an Introduction to Incursions.
This course is designed primarily as an introductory explanation of Incursions in EVE Online.
Over the next 30 minutes or so, we shall cover what Incursions are, the various roles in incursions, what ships are used, what skills are required and lastly how to join the community and where further information can be found.
Once I've finished there will be an extended Q&A session. Please feel free to ask question whilst I'm talking in the Lecture.E-Uni chat channel.
Please be aware that is an introductory class and as such we will not be covering advanced fits, how the sites work once flying and other advanced concepts.
(Instructor should then introduce himself or herself - covering relevant experience level and background.)
We have a few ground rules for this class:
- Please put your Mumble settings on "Push to Talk" if you have not already done so.
- Feel free to type any questions in the Lecture.E-UNI chat channel as we proceed - I will try to answer your questions as they come during the class. [At the end of my lecture, we'll open Mumble for any further questions or general discussion.]
- Its preferable for you to be docked up for this lecture but it isn't required.
Everyone ready? OK, then - let's begin....
What are incursions?
Incursions are high level PvE content in Eve Online. Incursions take place in a constellation in space and they affect all systems in that constellaion. At any given time there can be up to three incursions happening in each of High Sec, Low Sec and Null Sec giving a total of 9 incursion sites to available to capsuleers.
Incursions last for up to 7 days in total before despawning. After roughly 24 - 36 hours the incursion will respawn in a new location. To find out what spawns are currently active click on your journal button in the neocom > incursions tab > global report. Here you will find information on all active incursions including constellation, security status of the constellation, staging system and other advanced info. For now it is important to just know where the incursion is.
An incursion consists of 4 different groups of sites. Each group will have a dedicated system or systems. Each group also differs in difficulty, the size of fleet required to run it and the reward for doing so.
The different groups are:
- The scout sites are the easiest system and can be run by 1 - 5 people. These are not normally run.
- The Vanguard systems can be run by a fleet of 9 - 11 pilots. These are the primary type of site that the Eve University Incursion community run.
- The Assault systems can be run by a fleet of 20 - 21 pilots. These are not run very often.
- The Headquarters systems can be run by a fleet of 35 - 40 pilots. These are primarily run by the public incursion communities.
There is a final special site called the MOM site. This is the final site in an incursion and once run the incursion will dissappear. In this site you kill a Sanshas Nation Carrier which the community lovingly call the Mom! A fleet of 80 pilots is required for this.
For more information on the various levels you can look at encounters tab found in your journal under incursions. You can also look at the incursions site page on the wiki.
Why fly incursions?
- Great social fleets flying with 10 other people.
- ISK, anywhere between 60 - 240 million ISK per Hour (it is to be stressed though that the focus in the E-Uni incursion community is on teaching and not on ISK effeciency.
- CONCORD LP which allows you to buy shiny stuff in CONCORD LP Stores
- Fly battleships and bling fits in a "safe" environment
What are the downsides of incursions?
- Moving: Due to the nature of incursion spawns we move around a lot. This creates a few issues, especially when your corporation is at war. Battleships are large slow ships and as such are great prey for War Targets. There are however a few ways around this:
- Travel Fits: These fits give you over 150k ehp and are great when detering gankers as it gives you buffer before Concord arrives. They will however not protect you from War Targets.
- Train a OOC valet alt: This take around 14 days to be able to fly a travel fit battleship and is the best way to move ships.
- Ask the community: A lot of the community members have valet alts already and are more than happy to move ships if you ask.
- Fleets Downtime and Waitlists
A fleet consists of 11 people on grid and a few offgrid. There are plenty of times that we either don't have enough people or we have too many. When there isn't enough we tend to wait around for quite a bit. When we have too many we run a waitlist system to get into fleet. You will also wait around a bit when this happens.
What roles are needed in incursion fleets?
- Damage Dealer: These consist of Battleships and Strategic Cruisers. The name says it all, they are there to deal damage to the Sansha.
- Logistics: Logistics ships provide shield and capacitor to the rest of the fleet. They operate as a 'healer' of the fleet.
- Scout/Hacker: The scout/hacker scouts out the new sites for the fleet to run and provides a hack in one of the Vanguard sites, the Override Transfer Array.
- Off Grid Booster: The OGB provides warfare link boosts to the fleet. This greatly increases the effectiveness of the fleets shield, targeting, navigation etc (Warfare Links will provide further information)
- Pickets: While Eve University is at war pickets are used to watch out for wartargets that could be a threat to the fleet. Anywhere between 1 to 4 pickets could be used depending on the focus.
- Advanced Fleet Roles
- Fleet Commander - The boss, listen to him and you should be fine!
- Waitlist Manager - Runs the waitlist for people wanting to get into fleet.
- Drone Bunny - Commands the fleets drones.
What ships are used?
- Damage Dealers
- Hyperion - Gallente - Hybrid Guns
- Rokh - Caldari - Hybrid Guns
- Maelstrom - Minmatar - Projectile Guns
- Strategic Cruisers: These are advanced ships that take a lot of Skillpoints to fly. They won't be covered in this class.
- Ships require the following:
- T2 Shield Tank (this is mandatory, ships without a T2 tank will not be allowed in fleet)
- Federation Navy Stasis Webifiers (these have a web range of 18km with boosts which helps slow the Sansha down making them easier to kill
- Meta 4 guns (We don't require T2 guns, Meta 4 are fine. T2 damage mods are required (Magnetic Field Stabilizers, Gyrostabilizers etc)
- Tracking and Sensor modules (These help with applying damage and targeting speed respectively)
All basic ship fits for incursions can be found on this link: Incursions Fitting Principles
FAQ's regarding ships
Q: Why can't I bring my missile boat?
A: Missiles have delayed damage due their flight time. This is good in certain PvE activities but due to most Sansha rats being Cruisers and below it isn't good in Incursions.
Q: Can I bring my Battlecruiser?
A: Most battlecruisers do not meet the minimum amount of tank to be a safe member of the fleet so we do not allow battlecruisers.
Q: Why do you only fly with the Hyperion, Rokh and Maelstrom and not the other T1 Battleships?
A: The other battleships not listed don't meet the requirement of the fleet with regards to damage, tank etc. The three battleships listed are the basic entry level ships required for Incursions. We do allow other pirate battleships to fly, namely the Vindicator, Machariel and Nightmare.
What skills are required?
Being able to sit in a Battleship or Logistics ship is very different to being able to effectively fly it. There is a list of minimum skills that are required for you to be a member of an Incursions fleet. These skills can be found on the Preparing for Incursions page.
There are also downloadable Evemon skills plans which are available here:
The vast majority of skills required to fly Damage Dealer Battleships are core skills. These can be used for a variety of different activities including PvE and PvP.
How do I join the incursions community and get more information?
Our Incursion Community is open to current Unistas, alumni, ex-unistas and alts. It is important to remember that teaching comes first and that certain restrictions might be put in place, ensuring we conform with the EVE University Rules and the Wartime Standard Operating Procedures (WSOP).
- incursions.e-uni chat channel
- Incursions wiki pages on the Eve University wiki Incursions Wiki
- Join the incursions.e-uni mailing list. This is where you will find out what the current focus of operations is.
Before joining your first fleet you HAVE to go through:
- Thanks for attending this class!
- I would appreciate any feedback from people on how to improve the class
- Questions ?