Difference between revisions of "Events Department"
m (Turtle is manager so he shouldn't be in the staff section, right)
|(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)|
|Line 138:||Line 138:|
| Analee Tsasa
| Analee Tsasa
[[Category:EVE University Departments]]
[[Category:EVE University Departments]]
Latest revision as of 23:05, 22 January 2020
|This page is specific to EVE University. Other corporations or groups in the game may operate differently.|
For a summary of EVE University's rules and code of conduct, see EVE University Rules.
The Events Department is a part of the Education Directorate alongside the Teaching and Fitting departments. The job of this department is to facilitate events, competitions and tournaments that allow students to put into practice what they have learned during classes. In essence the fun side of the Education Department.
- 1 Events Manager
- 2 What is an event?
- 3 Participating in events
- 4 Running events
- 5 Joining the department
- 6 Active Events Staff
|Turlough Dominian - Send a forum PM
The Events Manager oversees the scheduling of events, manages the Events Coordinators, and supports students in developing and running their own events. It also incorporates the Cross Campus Initiative.
What is an event?
Events are any activity that isn't a class or teaching lecture.
Events allow Unistas to experience what EVE has to offer, and experience can often be the best teacher. Events can be PVP-related (although most fleets are run outside of the Events Department), but they can as well be non-combat events like industry, mining, exploration, or sightseeing.
They do not even have to require undocking from a station. For example, lotteries or trivia contests fall under the Events Department's remit as much as full-blown tournaments with multiple teams and rankings. Events can even happen completely out of game!
Participating in events
To see what’s on, the best place to look is the calendar, either in game or via our public calendar feed. Most events should be scheduled there at least a few days in advance.
The Corporation Events section on the forums is where you will find information and discussion on past and future events. All scheduled events should have an accompanying forum post in this section.
To take part in an event, you should read the calendar and forum post for the event you are interested in. These should provide you with clear instructions. Sometimes you will need to reply to the forum post to indicate your interest. This is often the case with team-based events or where numbers are an important factor.
Anyone can run an event.
Our aim is to always find a way to run any event idea. But of course, there are certain limits and borders which should not be crossed. Events may not interfere with the continued running of the Uni, and may not breach EVE University Rules without special permission. Events should be scheduled so that they do not conflict with other events or classes.
The Events Page holds many recipes for previously-run events, and those planned for future dates.
Please feel free to use our wiki pages as a resource when planning your own event, and don't hesitate to ask a staff member for help! We are happy when we can help you with creating a event which will be enjoyed by many people, because that's our job for which we aren't paid :-D
Jokes aside, you should really consider contacting the Events Department in advance. For example, the ability to schedule an event using the in-game calendar is restricted to those with the Sophomore title or above. So if you do not have this title yet, you really should contact a member of the Events Department to make sure that a proper calendar entry is being made. And we would do even more for you here, like making sure that your event appears in the weekly information mail, that it doesn't collide with classes, and so on.
Okay, so you want to run an event. But how to start?
First decide on the type of event you want to run; you can read through various related subforums like the Combat Lounge and Events Planning, and also the Events Page on the wiki for ideas. These are some questions you should be asking for yourself during the event preparation stage:
- What will the event be about?
- Who is the targeted audience? Is it open to the public, is it for E-Uni students only, does it only concern a campus?
- Would there be any requirements, like being able to fly a certain ship class or doctrine?
- When do you want it to happen? How much time would it take?
- Will there be prizes? Do you need a budget?
- Can you lead the event yourself, or do you need a leader or co-host?
The more you think about an event, the more questions it will probably raise. You should then contact a member of the Events team to discuss all the necessary aspects. Once the details are finalised, you can post your event on the in-game calendar and Events section on the forum; or you ask the Event Department to do it for you, no problem.
For more information see the Guide to Running Events.
Rules for running an event
- Any member of the Uni is free to schedule and run events.
- Events should be scheduled so that they do not conflict with other events or classes. The Events Staff can help with that.
- It is advised for standing events and tournaments to not monopolise the calendar for longer than 2 or 3 consecutive weeks.
- During wartime all major events must be approved in advance by the Events Manager.
- Events involving participants or organizers who are not in E-UNI must receive clearance from the Events Manager. To avoid irritation, this clearance needs to be received before any external discussions or even preparations take place.
How can we help?
The Events Department staff have experience running a range of events throughout the Uni and are more than happy to share their experience with Unistas. A quick search of their forum posts will often allow you to identify the most suitable staff member to help with your event - and if it doesn't, feel free to ask the Events Manager and they'll delegate your case to one of their minions.
In addition to guidance in the planning stage, the Department can assist with providing prizes, planning logistics and using their experience to drive interest and participation.
Our job is to make sure your events happen!
We will endeavor to help you with whatever you need to make your event a success.
Joining the department
- You do not need to be an expert by any means to become an Events Staff. Often, Events Staff will begin with basic events and later expand the events they run as their knowledge and confidence increase.
What is expected of an Events Staff?
- Events Staff should have the basic knowledge of organizing an event.
- Events Staff are expected to run events with reasonable consistency. We ask that as a minimum, you run at least one every month.
- They should be open to assist others with organizing an event.
- They are expected to act appropriately as a member of the University staff and set a positive example to students.
What are the benefits of being an Events Staff?
- EVE University supports its Event Staff where it can. If you have an event in which participants can earn rewards, logistics can be arranged through the University's Production Department.
- Event Staff can call on the knowledge and advice of the entire department and wider University staff, like when creating a new type of event.
- Event Staff receive an in-game title and have access to the Staff Room and Events Staff forums.
- Being an EVE University Events Staff can often lead to other roles of responsibility within the University, and can have a positive effect on your wider EVE career.
Applying to become a Events Staff
- To become an Event Staff, you must be a current member of EVE University and hold Freshman title. Sometimes we waive this title requirement; for instance if you have a lot of motivation to organize events or you have experience with running Eve-related events.
- If you have read all the above and would like to become an Events Staff, please complete this application form.
Active Events Staff
Our current Events Staff: