RELATED UNI-WIKI REFERENCES
Freedom is liquid, supple, mellifluous. It surrounds us, engulfs our bodies, drowns our fear. We plumb freedom's depths and consume the nourishment within. From these waters, we are born; when we die, we shall return to those waters.
Gallente Defensive Systems bonuses (per skill level):
2017 Updated: The Proteus is the Gallente Strategic Cruiser. It is, by a wide margin, the least popular T3 cruiser in Known Space. This is due to a number of reasons, including limited mid slots (you can only fit a maximum of four), and the sometimes odd bonuses of its subsystems.
It is not a good choice for missions, due to its limited range with blasters and poor tracking with railguns. These attributes also prevents it from doing well in incursions. It has a small number of mid slots compared to other T3s like the Loki or Tengu, so it has limited ability to fit utility modules like webs. The Proteus has a good niche as a cloaky PvP ganker. Its ability to fit a Covert Ops cloak, high DPS blasters, and an extended range point or scram makes it excellent for decloaking on someone, annihilating them quickly, and escaping before their friends can respond.
The recent T3C rebalance has also narrowed the fitting flexibility of the Proteus, preventing a full rack of Medium railguns being fitted, unless a lowslot Co-Processor 2 is added.
To fly a Proteus (or any other Tech 3 Cruiser for that matter), you will want a strong set of core skills (Power Grid Management 5, CPU Management 5, Weapon Upgrades 5, Gunnery 5, etc). Some of these skills are already included in the prerequisites, but there are some skills that are not technically required to fly it that are HIGHLY recommended before flying. Among these are :
- T2 Armor Tanking - Hull Upgrades 5, Armor Compensations at least to 3 (preferably 4) - ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY!
- Fitting Skills - Power Grid Management is a prerequisites. It is also recommended to have Weapon Upgrades to 5 (for Advanced Weapon Upgrades[AWU]), and AWU to at least 3 or 4
- Strat Cruiser Skills - Gallente Strategic Cruiser to 3 (if you overheat a lot, train this higher). Defensive subsystem should be at 5 with the others at 4 (5 is preferable, especially for offensive).
- T2 Blasters - Medium Hybrid Turret 5, Medium Blaster Specialization 3 - Flying a T2 or T3 DD ship without T2 weapons will lead to mockery of your lossmails.
- T2 Drones - To make use of your 75m3 Drone bay, having T2 drones is vital. Of course as a Gallente pilot you should definitely have at least some basic drone skills already
- Gunnery Support Skills - Try to have all applicable gunnery supports up to at least 4, especially Controlled Bursts (Cap is life!) Again these are not necessarily needed, but highly recommended.
- Other PvP Skills: Proteus is bonused to reduce heat damage, and requires Engineering 5. Thermodynamics up a few levels (at least 3) is a no brainer. Skills in the Navigation set such as Evasive Maneuvering, Acceleration Control, etc, are important for moving about the battlefield, and can help with tanking as well. In addition T2 warp disruption (including scrams) are a quick train and definitely worth the time if you haven't gotten them already
For more info on fittings, please go here
In PvP, the Proteus is normally a brawling ship. Get in close on your enemies, blast them with the high DPS of blasters and broadcast for reps if you're primaried. Use your range-bonused point to stop enemies escaping your grasp (if this is combined with Loki webs you make a very effective tackling pair). While you are not being shot it can be worth trying to lower your transversal to the target (keeping at range or sitting still) to apply full DPS with Void.
Notes about the Proteus can be added here.
|A long, long time ago...|
October 2019 Release - 2019-10-15.1
Every Cruiser, Battlecruiser and Battleship now warps faster than before.
July 2017 Release - Released 2017-07-11