This article is about the Student Advocate and how the role fits within EVE University and how he serves the general membership.
The role of the Student Advocate is to provide a voice for the student body to the Directorate and Management in a fashion much like EVE's CSM in that they filter through popular issues and concerns bringing forward those that are deemed most important. The Student Advocate also acts as mediator for when those inevitable clashes between members occur. EVE University is both large in numbers and broad in the cultural and nationality scope. When an issue arises it is the goal to bring them to a friendly resolution to allow members to continue enjoying their time in EVE University.
What duties does the Student Advocate carry on?
The scope of the duties is to ensure that the Uni is running smoothly as possible with all members (and departments) following policies, procedures, and protocols, and not letting issues grow to the point of explosions. Those should be for pew-pew.
- I will intercede in issues you may have with another member or staff/management member.
- The Student Advocate will moderate Uni chat channels and Mumble.
- Will give input where needed to all the Divisions of the Uni to ensure your needs and expectations are being met. Note that some things I don't have any control over.
What do I do if I have a problem or conflict?
If you have a disagreement with another Uni member, a member of staff, a manager, or even a director that remains unresolved or you can't resolve it yourself, do not hesitate to talk to me.
Before you do, you should make a reasonable effort to resolve the conflict yourself. Remember EVE is a social game and communicating effectively is necessary for your success within it. Also remember that sometimes conflicts develop from simple misunderstandings. Directly communicating by private convo, EVE mail, or forum PM may be all that is necessity to resolve whatever it is. And it's much more rewarding as well. So try that.
If that fails:
- First, consider that if your disagreement involves a staff member, manager, or director, they may be reminding you of or enforcing University rules and policies and I do not have the authority to change that policy.
- Contact me via forum private message, or evemail with your concern. Your chatlogs or copies of evemails, forum PMs, or any other correspondence will help us get to a resolution quicker.
- Always talk to me first, as things tend to escalate quickly and in unexpected and unpleasant ways which often creates even more conflict. So please do not discuss your conflict with others or bring it forward to other staff, managers, or directors.
- Please be patient and give me some time to investigate and understand your issue.
- As a mediator, my job is to facilitate a resolution process and help both parties towards a mutually beneficial settlement of your differences. My role is NOT to impose or force any resolution upon either of the parties nor decide any aspect or your disagreement. I am impartial and have no interest in the outcome. Your role is to earnestly participate in the process in seeking that settlement.
- You need to follow my instructions during the dispute. They are designed to keep the conflict from worsening and creating delay.
- All information you provide to me in the dispute is confidential. Communications made during the mediation process are confidential, except where it is in violation of the EULA.
I am here to help resolve conflicts between you and the other members quickly so we can all get back to enjoying the game, which is why we are here.