Tech 3 Production
|This page should be updated due to game changes. Reason: reactions mechanics changed with Lifeblood update, and thus T3 production too|
Tech 3 ships - Strategic Cruisers and Tactical Destroyers - are made using materials obtained in wormhole space, some of which need to be processed in Refineries in Low/Null or WH Space and can be constructed in Upwell structures anywhere. As can be seen from the following flowchart there are 4 distinct manufacturing stages:
- React Polymers
- Construct Components
- Reverse Engineer subsystem and hull BPCs
- Construct subsystems and hulls
These steps, and the skills and materials for each are detailed below.
- Reactions: 4% reduction of reaction time per skill level. Level 3 is needed for the Hybrid Polymer Reactions needed for T3 production.
- Mass Reactions: One additional reaction slot per Level (from the one slot base allowance).
- Advanced Mass Reactions: One additional reaction slot per level (for a maximum of 11 with both skills at 5).
- Polymer Reactions are seeded on the NPC market under Reactions > Polymer Reactions
- Fullerenes are obtained by harvesting gas sites in w-space. See Gas Cloud Mining for more details.
- Minerals are obtained from mining standard ores (either from Ores sites in w-space, or asteroid belts in k-space).
Reactions in Refineries now work just like normal industry jobs. The refinery needs a Standup Hybrid Reactor I service module online and can be rigged for material and time efficiency using T1 or T2 rigs. Please ignore the silos shown in the above flowchart, they refer to the old reaction mechanics.
- Choose Reaction formula
- Set number of runs
- Set input & output location
- Press Start
- After run time has passed, press deliver
- Repeat as necessary
Subsystem Component Construction
Despite the name, these components are used to construct both the subsystems and the hulls. You can manufacture these in station facilities in k-space, or at a Component Assembly Array (contains major benefits for time and material efficiency) at a POS. The BPOs are available under Blueprints > Manufacture & Research > Components > Subsystem Components and may be researched & copied as normal.
Each subsystem component BPO needs:
- Electromagnetic Physics trained to II, plus one of
- Graviton Physics II
- High Energy Physics II
- Mechanical Engineering II
- Plasma Physics II
Construction of subsystem components is from two material sources:
- Ancient Salvage is obtained by salvaging Sleeper wrecks in w-space.
- Hybrid Polymers obtained from the reaction process as previously described.
Invention of BPCs
This is the process by which T3 BPCs - for hulls and subsystems - are invented. The initial object required is an ancient relic, retrieved from Relic sites in w-space. Ancient relics look very like BPOs, except with a yellow background instead of a blue one. They come in three different flavours:
- Intact - highest chance of BPC invention (34% base), 20-run BPC
- Malfunctioning - medium chance of BPC invention (30% base), 10-run BPC
- Wrecked - lowest chance of BPC invention (22% base), 3-run BPC
There are also six different types, prefixed by the specific flavour (i.e. Intact, Malfunctioning or Wrecked):
- Hull Section - used to invention a T3 cruiser hull BPC
- Small Hull Section - used to invent a T3 destroyer BPC
- Weapon Subroutines - used to invent an Offensive Subsystem BPC
- Armor Nanobot - used to invent a Defensive Subsystem BPC
- Power Cores - used to invent an Engineering Subsystem BPC
- Electromechanical Component - used to invent an Electronic Subsystem BPC
- Thruster Sections - used to invent a Propulsion Subsystem BPC
- Sleeper Encryption Methods (4x) is the basic skill required for every type of Ancient Relic, and a higher level increases your chance at successfully inventing a blueprint, so preferably at IV or V for effective profit-making.
Then each ancient relic needs its own two skills - again a higher level increases your chance at successfully inventing a blueprint, so recommended at IV or V for effective profit-making. The Subsystem Technology skills themselves each require a specific science skill at IV.
- Weapon Subroutines - Plasma Physics & Offensive Subsystem Technology (which requires High Energy Physics IV)
- Armor Nanobot - Hydromagnetic Physics & Defensive Subsystem Technology (which requires Nanite Engineering IV)
- Power Cores - Quantum Physics & Engineering Subsystem Technology (which requires High Energy Physics IV)
- Electromechanical Component - Electronic Engineering & Electronic Subsystem Technology (which requires Electronic Engineering IV)
- Thruster Sections - Rocket Science & Propulsion Subsystem Technology (which requires Graviton Physics IV)
- Hull Section - Mechanical Engineering & Plasma Physics
- Ancient Relics are gathered from Relic sites in w-space using an Relic Analyzer (Archaeology skill). Some also drop from Data sites.
- Tech 3 Subsystem Datacores, Data Interface and R.Db.s (Research Database) are obtained from Data sites in w-space using a Data Analyzer (Hacking skill).
- Standard datacores are obtained from Factional Warfare LP stores, R & D agents, randomly from Data sites, or just the market.
T3 invention is mostly identical to normal T2 invention, making sure all your inputs are in the correct corporation hangar. It can also only be performed at an Experimental Lab anchored at a POS (or at a Caldari Research Outpost - a player-owned station in sovereign nullsec).
Construction of a subsystem requires the same two skills (not the Reverse Engineering skill) as needed to reverse engineer the ancient relic from which you found the BPC for this subsystem (see the previous section) plus three extra skills
- Advanced Medium Ship Construction (5x) to IV
- <Racial> Starship Engineering (5x) to IV
- Jury Rigging (2x) to V
T3 hull construction requires:
- Advanced Medium Ship Construction (5x) to V
- <Racial> Starship Engineering (5x) to V
- Mechanical Engineering (5x) to IV
- Components are created from salvage & hybrid polymers (see above)
- R.A.M.- Starship Tech is additionally required for hull construction, for which the BPO is sold by NPCs in k-space.
Since Upwell, T3 components, subsystems and hulls can me manufactured in any Citadel or Engineering Complex with a Standup Manufacturing Plant I service module online. It works like any T1 industry job:
- Choose Blueprint
- Set number of runs
- Choose input and output locations
- Press Start
- Wait until the run time has passed and press deliver
- Rinse and Repeat
As you are now in no doubt, T3 construction is one of the most complex manufacturing process in EVE. Most of the T3 production activity in EVE is carried out by wormhole-based corporations at their own structutes in w-space (although a fair amount is also done by sov null based corporations). The additon of Upwell Stuctures made it possible to assemble a T3 ship inside a wormhole. Previously the finished ship hull needed to be shipped out to k-space, assembled in station, and flown back into w-space for use since it was impossible to assemble a ship inside a POS.
T3 ships are therefore very expensive, with prices for a hull and all four subsystems (currently, June 2018) around the 300m-400m ISK mark.