This is a syllabus for a class provided by EVE University. This section contains information about this class and its contents. General Information includes materials to create a proper class listing on the EVE University forum. Additional resources and teaching tips are listed under Notes for the Teacher.
Illustration link for class description on the Eve University forum:
The purpose of this class is to introduce pilots to the wealth of information available on the Dotlan EVE maps.
- Duration: 60 minutes (May run longer, depending on information and questions.)
- Location: Docked up safely in a station
- What are the Dotlan EVE Maps
- What information can be found?
- For PvP
- For Industrialists
- Q&A Student requirements:
- Mumble registration and access - make sure you have Mumble sorted out and operational well before the class begins.
Use this guide for set-up: http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Mumble
- Access to the Class.E-UNI in-game chat channel Additional information:
This class is primarily lecture delivered in the Class.E-UNI channel in Mumble, followed by Q&A.
Notes for the Teacher
- Class.E-UNI chat channel, to receive questions and post relevant links
- List any relevant links to teacher's references on the wiki or other resources, if needed
- Describe any ships, fittings, modules, or tools required to have on hand, if needed Any particular notes or tips about how to deliver the class go here.
Welcome to this class on Dotlan!
This course is designed primarily to provide an overview of what dotlan can be used for and how to utilise the information available there. Over the 60 minutes or so, we shall cover what dolan can be used for including intelligence gathering, mapping and routing. (Instructor should then introduce himself or herself - covering relevant experience level and background.) We have a few ground rules for this class:
- Please put your Mumble settings on "Push to Talk" if you have not already done so.
- Feel free to type any questions in the Class.E-UNI chat channel as we proceed - I will try to answer your questions as they come during the class. [At the end of my lecture, we'll open Mumble for any further questions or general discussion.]
- You should be docked up safely in a station, Everyone ready? OK, then - let's begin....
- Region Map - Link an example region map that has all these features The_Forge
- System Colour - Sec status
- Green - high sec
- Red - Low sec
- Dashed Red - Contested Low Sec (See Faction warfare for more details)
- Black - Null Sec
- Blue Ring - Ice Belt
- Rectangular - Different region
- Oval - Same Region
- Line colours - Type of Stargate
- Black - Intra Constellation
- Red - Inter Constellation
- Purple - Inter Region
- Icons - Stations/Outposts
- Red - Refinery
- Yellow - Industry/Factory
- Blue - Research
- Green - Cloning/Offices
- Colouring filter - lots of options Go over some useful ones
- Live - Jumps/Kills/NPC kills in the last 1hr/24hr
- Celestial objects Planets/belts/moons/places/Complexes
- Sovereignty - Very useful in Nullsec
- System Colour - Sec status
- Region Lists - Let you see a list of everything in a region
- Clicking on any of the universe map icons will lead to a map showing the systems approximately the right distance appart useful for capital navigation or remote PI.
- How can you use dotlan to navigate New Eden
- Jump Planner
- Very useful for capital navigation - Calculates the optimum route and the amount of fuel needed based on skills and ship type.
- Jump drive Navigation is covered in more detail in the capital class
- Example Jita_to_SP
- Blue Lines - Jumps
- Green circles - Way points or mid points
- Options include the ability to avoid systems or regions and to only pass systems with stations.
- Route Planner - Very similar to the Jump Planner but using stargates, like the auto pilot.
- Range - used when using capitals to find where you can jump from any system
- Moons/Planets - Similar to range but showing Moons/Planets instead.
- Jump Bridges - Map of Jump Bridge networks Example
- Radar - Only works in games used to track movement.
Alliances, Sovereignty and Faction warfare
- Lets you see key statistics about alliance and corps
- Corporation/member changes - Failcacades
- Details of alliance's Sov and Outposts
- List of members - Uses EVEWho
- Recent Kills - Uses EVE-Kill.net
- Recent events
- long term membership graphs
- Tracks Sovereignty and occupancy changes
- Faction Warfare has multi-region maps of the contested area.
- Clicking on any system will bring up the system focus which shows the sec status, number of belts/moons/planets, the live stats for that system.
- Shows sov and occupancy changes
- A list of stations and the services provided.
- Locations - shows there nearest, highsec, lowsec, refinery, research, industry, repair and medical.
- Statistics - Shows a hour by hour break down of jumps/kills for the last 48hrs. * kills - Shows all of the ship/pod kills for the last 48hrs that were posted to eve-kill.net.
- Events - Shows the history of the system including sov changes, sov levels and outpost construction.
Tactical Use of Dotlan
- Tatical route planning
- Finding a route around gate camps.
- Seeing where the map has dead ends and choke points.
- Escaping to highSec
- Dotlan on Paper
- PDF or GIF suitable for printing
- Great for making notes during fleets.
- Thanks for attending this class!
- I would appreciate any feedback from people on how to improve the class
- Questions ?