The EVE logs contain useful information about what is going on during your gaming sessions. They may not be something to read or check daily, but can certainly provide helpful information in some specific cases.
The chat logs record every conversation and every chat channel you are present in for the duration of your time in the channel.
This option is on by default but can be turned off by going to ESC > Chat tab and unchecking the Log Chat to File box as indicated below:
To make is easy to find the correct chat logs it may be useful to sort the folder by 'Date Modified', which will mean the newest ones are at the top.
The game logs are a log of any messages that pop up while you are in game. This includes:
- Error messages from the game client e.g. "The socket was closed"
- Stargate jumps
- Full combat log
- Notices about removing or adding people to your contact list, or changing any labels on your contact list
- Notifications that someone has invited you to a conversation (useful if you accidentally reject an invitation and you did not see who it was from!), that someone has rejected a convo invitation and that someone with an outstanding convo request has gone offline.
- Notices about setting up and canceling contracts
- Notices about CSPA charge on contacting someone and labels being assigned to mails
- Notices about inviting people to join your corporation, expelling them from the corporation and removing their roles
Locating the Logs
or if you run eve via steam+proton (recommended):
macOS 10.13 (perhaps earlier):
~/Library/Application Support/EVE Online/p_drive/User/My Documents/EVE
You may have to use the Finder's "Go To Folder" functionality to open that directory, as the "Library" directory under your home directory is hidden by default.
MyDocuments -> EVE -> Logs
contains the logs as of Windows 7, depending on how you prefer to navigate.