Asset safety is a means of mitigating the risk associated with storing items inside destructable structures, and serves as an intermediate "inventory" for player assets that were stored in a player-owned structure that has been destroyed or unanchored (subject to certain limitations). Items in Asset Safety do not exist in a physical location until delivered to a new location. Items placed in Asset Safety will be bundled in an Asset Safety container. In the case of Corporate Asset Safety, the Asset Safety wrap will preserve any corporate hangar organization.
Asset Safety exists on both a personal and corporate level, though it functions similarly in either case. Once Asset Safety has been activated, regardless of method, it cannot be reversed, and items must then be delivered according to normal Asset Safety restrictions.
Asset Safety is activated whenever
- An Upwell structure is destroyed or unanchored, or
- A corporate office is un-rented, or
- A player manually activates it. You may do this by right clicking a structure heading in the Personal Assets window. But note: you must move all items from the Upwell at the same time using this command, which is labelled "Move all items to asset safety".
In the case of Corporate Asset Safety, only Directors or a CEO may activate Asset Safety for items in corporate hangars.
Items in Personal Asset Safety will appear in the player's "Assets" window, under the "Safety" tab.
Items in Corporate Asset Safety will appear in the corporation's "Assets" window, under the "Safety" tab.
There are then two ways of recovering the items:
- After 5 days, the player/corporation can choose to have their assets delivered to an outpost, NPC station, or Citadel in the same system where the assets were originally located. This option costs 0.5% of the assets' value to retrieve them again from Asset Safety.
- After an additional 20 days (i.e. if the first option is not used), the assets will be automatically delivered to the nearest (measured in AU) NPC station, and the player/corporation must pay 15% of the assets' value to retrieve them from Asset Safety. Once at the station where the assets wrap is located, click your Inventory icon on the Neocom panel and the Assets delivery package should show up. From there you can drag item(s)/ships into the station hangar at which point you will be assessed the 15% fee.
If assets are not moved to a station, outpost, or Citadel in the same system, items in Asset Safety will be moved according to the following guidelines:
- From null security space: to the nearest low security station, by AU.
- From low security space: to the nearest low security station, by AU.
- From high security space: to the nearest high security station, by AU.
Asset Safety Wrap access
Asset Safety Wrap attributes are listed as volume 1 m3, mass 1kg, and capacity 1m3. Each wrap contains all items and all ships previously stored in a player-owned structure. As of August 31, 2020 - Asset Safety Wrap containers may not be traded or contracted. The contents of Asset Safety Wrap containers may be viewed by:
- Under the Search tab of the Personal Assets window click the search button and open each result. On the right of each wrap listed is the number of items within [#], on the left click the small triangle to list contents of the wrap. To locate the wrap faster you may want to first type the word "safety" in the Search Text, click Search, open each result by clicking the triangle, clear the Search Text and click Search again. This will display results with Asset Safety Wrap(s) showing.
- Use a 3rd party program such as EVEMON.
- Dock at the NPC station where Asset Safety Wrap is located and use the Inventory window. Here you find a hanger named Asset Deliveries. You may view contents of the wrap(s), and if you wish, drag all or individual items from the wrap to the Item Hanger (15% market value fee applies).
While Asset Safety technically exists in wormhole systems, in practice it merely causes assets in wormhole structures to drop in large containers when their containing structures are destroyed. Unless such items are contained in password-protected containers, anyone may take any items from containers dropped by structures in wormhole space. Players may also launch assembled ships from these containers.
The Forsaken Fortress update released on 26th May 2020 introduced the abandoned state for Upwell structures that have not consumed fuel within a seven day window.
When a structure enters the abandoned state:
- The structure will have no reinforcement phases, meaning it can be destroyed in one session (Damage caps will still be in effect. If a structure is currently in a reinforced state at the moment the abandonment timer expires, then that reinforce timer will operate as normal but no new reinforcement phases will be allowed).
- The structure will not provide any tethering assistance.
- Items will not automatically be put into asset safety when the structure is destroyed.
Onlining a service module in a structure that is in the abandoned state will return it to full power, restoring its abilities provided that the structure is not damaged. Anyone with assets in a low power structure will receive an automated message 48 hours prior to the structure entering abandoned state, informing them of their ability to manually move their items to asset safety.
Faction Fortizars, converted from old player Outposts in 2018, can never enter the abandoned state. This maintains the safety of items these structures provided prior to their conversion.