Each day, all EVE server clusters go offline from 11:00-11:15 UTC for routine maintenance (daily downtime).
- It is not possible to launch the game.
- It is possible to launch the launcher, but it may be needed to restart the launcher after the downtime. The launcher cannot always reload the needed patches while active. You will get an "incompatible build" error on character selection (just restart to launcher to solve this problem).
- The daily downtime has been shortened from 30 minutes to 15 minutes in May 2016.
- On most days the downtime is over after a few minutes. Only in a few cases the whole 15 minutes are needed.
- Patches for the game as well as EVE Online expansions are deployed in the daily downtime. Depending on the amount of the work to be done the downtime is extended (sometimes up to several hours).
- Missions you have not completed have NPCs respawned.
- NPC wrecks are removed.
While maintenance or defects can occur at any time as needed, an unqualified reference to downtime generally refers to this daily period.
Official information about unscheduled downtimes are published to Twitter.