|This page is specific to EVE University. Other corporations or groups in the game may operate differently.|
For a summary of EVE University's rules and code of conduct, see EVE University Rules.
Discord is an out-of-game platform for team communication. EVE University uses Discord for text communication within each of the campuses, communities, and other teams. For Voice communications, please see Mumble.
The various EVE University campuses have channels set up in their respective areas for different purposes. One feature in Discord is that it allows pings for various purposes, which will be received by all members of that team. Discord also has a mobile app which is quite versatile for both Android and iOS.
Want to inject some flavour into your everyday text chat? You're in luck! Discord uses Markdown, a simple plain text formatting system that'll help you make your sentences stand out. There are many guides on how to format text using Markdown, Discord's own is quite possibly the best to use as it outlines what is doable in Discord, as well as other guides on how to use Discord.
- 1 Discord Categories
- 2 Joining Discord and Channels
Our Discord server is broken down into the following categories:
|EVE Uni Services||This category contains channels relating to service updates on EVE University and EVE related systems as well as channels to allow members to access specific campus channels. Some of the channels here are read-only.|
|General||Contains channels for general conversation. Some of the channels here, highlighted by an orange diamond, are accessible by both Alumni and Non-members and therefore should not be considered secure for conversations on specific EVE University Operations.|
|Ping Channels||Contains channels for getting someone's attention. see Ping Channels, Notifications and Etiquette|
|Amarr Mining Campus (AMC)||Contains campus-specific channels, access can be gained by selecting the AMC emoji in the #get-roles channel.|
|High Sec Campus (HSC)||Contains campus-specific channels, access can be gained by selecting the HSC emoji in the #get-roles channel.|
|Incursions||Contains campus-specific channels, access can be gained by selecting the Incursions emoji in the #get-roles channel.|
|Solitude||Contains campus-specific channels, access can be gained by selecting the Solitude emoji in the #get-roles channel.|
|Low Sec Campus (LSC)||Contains campus-specific channels, access can be gained by selecting the LSC emoji in the #get-roles channel.|
|Null Sec Campus (NSC)||Contains campus-specific channels, access can be gained by selecting the NSC emoji in the #get-roles channel.|
|Wormhole Campus (WHC)||Contains campus-specific channels, for WHC you need to apply to join the campus first.|
|Fleet Command Course (FCC)||Contains FCC specific channels, some of which are open to Alumni and Non-Members.|
|Staff||Contains Staff specific channels related to the running of EVE University, access to channels is limited to EVE University Staff.|
|EVE Uni Public Channels||Category is currently under construction but will eventually contain all public EVE University channels.|
Joining Discord and Channels
Setting Up a Discord Account
If you do not currently have a Discord account you will need to create one here.
You can also download the Discord desktop application here.
It's important to note that your username and profile picture are persistent across all Discord Servers that you are a member of. However your nickname can be altered on each individual server. If you are using identifiable information as a Username, you may wish to create a separate account for the EVE University server.
Joining our Server
Anybody with a forum account can join our Discord server. There are 7 basic roles, these are Non-Member, Alumnus, Member, Staff, Assistant Manager, Manager and Director. Access to channels will be determined by your forum roles.
To join our server and sync your roles you should first log into the EVE Uni Portal and select the option in the bottom left hand side of the page to link Discord. You will be directed to log in using your Discord Username and Password. If this has been successful you will be returned to the main page of the portal and will be able to join EVE University's Discord server.
As part of this process, you will have your Nickname on the EVE University server updated to reflect your in-game name and you will have the correct roles automatically assigned.
Any issues with joining our discord server should be captured in the Bug Tracker.
Ping Channels, Opt In Notifications and Etiquette
EVE University's ping channels are automatically opt out. Members of EVE University can configure their preferences for specific uniwide ping channels by going to #get-roles and campus specific ping channels from the pinned messages in each campuses general channel.
Non-Members and Alumni can opt in to specific pings channels by selecting from the roles pinned in #eve-uni-public.
The following channels are to be used for Uni wide or public pings only, each campus will have its own designated ping channel for specific campus activities or QRFs.
|#ping-abyssals||Use this channel to arrange abyssal activities.|
|#ping-class||Use this channel to notify about upcoming classes|
|#ping-mining||Use this channel to notify about upcoming mining events or activities that are open to EVE University members only.|
|#ping-moon-mining||Use this channel to notify about upcoming moon pops that are open to EVE University members only.|
|#ping-pvp||Use this channel to notify about upcoming PvP activities that are open to EVE University members only.|
|#ping-pve||Use this channel to notify about upcoming PvE activities that are open to EVE University members only.|
|#ping-misc||Use this channel to notify about any activities not covered by other ping channels.|
|#ping-public||Use this channel to notify about upcoming classes, events or activities that are open to the public.|
- Choose your channel, remember that pings are mass notifications, you do not need to ping every channel to get a response. If your fleet is public then ping @everyone in #ping-public channel only. Situations such as QRFs and campus specific questions requirements should be made in the dedicated campus ping channels.
- Members are also asked to only use either @-Officer or @everyone to ping and should not ping @-AMC\NSC\LSC\HSC\Solitude\Incursions\WHC.
- Once the initial ping has been sent, followup conversations can now be had in the same channel but without using an @-mention.
- Pings should be informative enough so that they do not require multiple pings for the same topic. If you need to use multiple lines, type them out before you send the message. Each message sent will notify individuals on their mobile, desktop, and/or emails; do not abuse the pings otherwise individuals will just turn them off.
Common UNI Wide Channels
The majority of EVE Universities Discord channels are restricted to current members, however any channel marked with an orange diamond is accessible to either Alumni, and channels with a blue diamond are open to Non-Members meaning specific uni ops should not be discussed there.
Some of our common channels are:
EVE Uni Services Channels
- #announcements : The purpose of this channel is to make and easily find important announcements.
- #eve-status : This channel is a read-only channel to notify users about server outages of both EVE University Services and EVE Online.
- #eve-news : This channel is a read-only channel which will be updated with news from RSS Feeds.
- #eve-streams : This channel is a read-only channel which will be updated with notifications when popular streamers or content creators go live in Twitch or YouTube. To add streamers to the notification list please raise a request through the Bug Tracker.
- #get-roles : This channel is to get the roles you need to see the AMC\HSC\LSC\NSC\Incursions\Solitude campus chat channels and to subscribe to class, event, PvP, or PvE pings.
- #eve-uni-general : General channel used to discuss topics generally related to EVE University.
- #fittings-chat : This channel is for discussing fittings.
- #other-games : Chat, discuss, or play other games via this channel.
- #other-chat : Discuss, share anything not directly related to EVE University or EVE Online.
- #alumni : This channel is for Alumni to have a general conversation with current EVE University Members and to help them stay in touch.
- #wiki : This channel is used to discuss wiki edits, wiki moderation and new wiki pages.
Campus/Community/Program Specific Channels
Each campus has its own channel structure, at a minimum, this will include:
- #general : A general channel for conversations specific to the campus.
- #ping : Ping channels for specific campus activities, you can use @-PvP or @-PvE here too as well as calling campus specific officers.
- #intel : Intel channels for specific campus intelligence.