|Areas of operation|
Abyssal modules are modules that have been mutated with mutaplasmids. The result is that some of their stats have been increased or decreased. Abyssal modules have the same skill requirements as a T2 module regardless of the module's skill requirements before the mutation.
Creating abyssal modules
Two items are required to create an abyssal module:
- a Mutaplasmid
- a module that is compatible with that mutaplasmid
The module used can be of any tech or meta level, and will determine the resulting abyssal module's base stats.
To create (or "Roll" or "Mutate") the abyssal module:
- Either double-click on or right-click and Use the mutaplasmid. This will open a window with a slot that can accept a module.
- Drag and drop the chosen module into the slot, or hover over the slot to view a list of all compatible modules. Modules in that list that are in the same hangar as the mutaplasmid are highlighted and can be selected from the list.
- The right side of the window will then display a list of the possible stat changes the module can receive.
- Pressing the Mutate button will combine the module and mutaplasmid to create a new abyssal module. The window will display the module's newly adjusted stats.
Each stat that is modified by the mutaplasmid is modified independently, from a flat random distribution across the possible range. This means that:
- Unstable mutaplasmids have the highest possible bonuses, but they also have the highest chances of getting penalties
- Gravid mutaplasmids have the best odds of creating some degree of positive effect on a module
Multiple modules cannot be mutated simultaneously, however, if there are multiple available mutaplasmids of the same type the mutation window will give the option to immediately use another.
Mutating a module can only be done once, and cannot be undone.
Once mutated, the new module is a unique Abyssal module, and cannot be repackaged or sold on the market (although it can be Reprocessed into the minerals of a T1 variant). Abyssal modules can, however, be traded via Contracts, and the Contract window specifically allows for viewing the stats of mutated modules by hovering the mouse over the contract.
There are out-of-game websites and servers, such as mutaplasmid.space, which allow for better searching and comparing available contracts for abyssal modules. This all also means that Abyssal modules have no inherent ISK value, and so for any killmails which include Abyssal modules there is no good way of knowing how strong, weak, cheap, or valuable those modules were.
Mutaplasmids come in three strengths:
- Decayed mutaplasmids are the most common, and offer the smallest possible benefits but also have the lowest possible penalties
- Gravid mutaplasmids are intermediate, offering greater possible benefits and marginally greater possible penalties
- Unstable mutaplasmids are the most in-demand, offering both the largest possible benefits and by far the largest possible penalties
Two special types of mutaplasmids have only one strength:
- Radical mutaplasmids mutates Drone Damage Amplifiers and Fighter Support Units
- Exigent mutaplasmids mutates Drones
Mutaplasmids exist only for certain module types and only certain module attributes are modified by mutaplasmids.
Modules with multiple size variations will have separate mutaplasmid for each size class. For example 1MN. 10MN and 100MN afterburners have separate mutaplasmids.
The table below lists different types of mutaplasmids and what stats each mutaplasmid modifies.
|Armor plate mutaplasmid
|Armor repairer mutaplasmid
|Ancillary armor repairer mutaplasmid
|Shield extender mutaplasmid
|Shield booster mutaplasmid
|Ancillary shield booster mutaplasmid
|Damage control mutaplasmid
|Assault Damage control mutaplasmid
|Capacitor battery mutaplasmid
Note: Mutaplasmids can not be used with a 'Micro' Cap Battery
|Energy neutralizer mutaplasmid
|Special module mutaplasmids|
|Siege Module mutaplasmid
|Stasis webifier mutaplasmid
|Warp disruptor mutaplasmid
|Warp scrambler mutaplasmid
|Weapon upgrade mutaplasmids|
|Ballistic control system mutaplasmid
|Magnetic field stabilizer mutaplasmid
|Entropic radiation sink mutaplasmid
|Vorton tuning tystems mutaplasmid
|Drone damage amplifier mutaplasmid
|Fighter support unit mutaplasmid
- Main article: Mutated drones
The process of combining a mutaplasmid and an existing T1, T2, or Faction combat drone mutates it into a unique Abyssal drone with the original drone's stats randomly mutated (for better or worse). The new drone will have the word Mutated inserted into its name such as Sentry Mutated Drone, and it will have unique stats and thus cannot be traded on the Market (you can trade them via Contracts etc.)
The mutaplasmids follow the standard nomenclature reflecting size and type: Exigent [size] Drone [attribute] Mutaplasmid