Social skills provide modifications to your standings or rewards from NPC corporations. They are of most value to mission runners but are also of use to those seeking access to specific services from NPC controlled corporations and factions. (Jump clone services, lower costs for reprocessing/refining, POS anchoring...)
As you do missions for NPC corporations, your standings with them will go up. As you do storyline missions your faction standings will change for the faction a particular NPC corporation is part of.
Faction standing changes have both positive and negative effects so raising your standings with a faction will also effect your standings with those friendly to that faction as well as those hostile to it. Example: Raising your faction standings with Gallente Federation will also raise it slightly with Minmitar while lowering it slightly with Caldari and Amarr. The reverse also being true - raise Amarr, lose some Gallente faction standings.
These changes are where some of the social skill effects come into play. Others are specific to mission runners.
Charisma and Intelligence are important to learning your social skills.
The social skills effect 3 different areas of your interactions with NPC corporations:
- Standings Modifiers (all modifiers are per level trained)
- Social - 5% improved standings gains for all missions with NPC corporations.
- Diplomacy - 4% effective standings increase with NPC corporations you have negative standings with.
- Connections - 4% effective standings increase for NPC corporations that CONCORD likes and that you have positive standings with.
- Criminal Connections - 4% effective standings increase for NPC corporations that CONCORD does not like and that you have positive standings with. (NPC pirate organizations)
- Fast Talk - 5% bonus to effective security rating increases. (CONCORD sec status)
- ISK Reward Improving
- Negotiation - 5% improved ISK payout from agents (per level trained) by raising their effective quality.
- DED Connections currently does not exist in the game.
- Loyalty Point Reward Improving
Loyalty Point (LP) reward improvements are broken down by corporate divisions. All are 5% gains, per level trained, in LP rewards while working for an agent from their specific division.
The following are the skills in the Social section (in alphabetical order):
- Connections - Boosts corp/racial standing if above 0.0 standing.
- Criminal Connections - Boosts standing towards NPCs with low Concord standing.
- Diplomacy - Boosts corp/racial standing if below 0.0 standing.
- Distribution Connections - Improves loyalty point gain when working for Agents in the Distribution Division.
- Fast Talk - Faster security standing increases.
- Mining Connections - Improves loyalty point gain when working for Agents in the Mining Division.
- Negotiation - Increases ISK rewards offered by mission agents
- Security Connections - Improves loyalty point gain when working for Agents in the Security Division.
- Social - Boosts the size of standings increases with NPCs, NPC corporations and NPC factions