Anomic missions (also known as "burner missions") are optional encounter missions that are given out by level 4 security agents. They can always be declined without penalty.
They present a different and higher challenge compared to other security missions since you will encounter a small number of very powerful adversaries and you are restricted in ship size. The NPCs in these missions are modeled after a capsuleer using perfect skills, faction modules, implants, drugs and links. Accordingly, they also give much higher ISK and loyalty point rewards (~12000 LP) and there is a decent chance for valuable faction items in the loot.
Burner missions require specialized and expensive ship fits and high skills to solo. They also require piloting skills that are otherwise rarely used in PvE such as overheating. CCP re-balances them frequently, so it is strongly advised to research the latest fits and tactics or even use the test-server before attempting them. Also note that some of the expensive frigate fits that are used to complete them are very easy and worthwhile to gank. Gankers and wardeccers around mission hubs tend to know this.
There are 3 groups of burner missions:
Anomic Agent Missions
You face a single very powerful pirate frigate and the mission pocket is restricted to frigates. There are 5 missions of this type:
- Anomic Agent (Guristas) - Guristas Worm
- Anomic Agent (Angel) - Angel Dramiel
- Anomic Agent (Serpentis) - Serpentis Daredevil
- Anomic Agent (Blood Raider) - Sansha Succubus
- Anomic Agent (Sansha's Nation) - Blood Raider Cruor
These missions require specialized and expensive fits of pirate or assault frigates to complete. They also typically require well-timed overheating and cap and booster management. Discussions and fit recommendations can be found in the official EVE forums.
Anomic Team Missions
You face a T2 Assault Frigate plus two T1 Logistics Frigates and the mission pocket is restricted to frigates. There are 4 missions of this type:
- Anomic Team (Amarr) - Vengeance and 2 Inquisitors
- Anomic Team (Caldari) - Hawk and 2 Bantams
- Anomic Team (Minmatar) - Jaguar and 2 Bursts
- Anomic Team (Gallente) - Enyo and 2 Navitas
These are the most beginner friendly and are possible to complete in a T1 frigate such as a Kestrel with a proper kiting fit. To complete them solo in e.g. a Kestrel requires high frigate and missile skills, but they get much easier and accessible to low-SP pilots with two or more players. They are usually completed by kiting in MWD ships that can deal damage over at least 20-30km. ECM to jam the logi support and target painting is also very useful. Tactics revolve around either attacking the Assault Frigate and powering through the logi reps or jamming one logi while killing the other.
Anomic Base and Escort Missions
You face a small number of powerful ships such as battlecruisers, cruisers, frigates and fighter waves and the mission pocket is restricted to T2 cruisers or T1 battlecruisers and lower. There are 4 missions of this type:
- Anomic Base (Serpentis) - 3 Serpentis Talos and about 100 proximity activated sentries
- Anomic Base (Blood Raider) - Blood Raider Ashimmu and 2 Sentinels
- Anomic Base (Angel) - 4 Angel Dramiels and a Wreathe industrial
- Anomic Base (Caldari) - 6 waves of fighters and fighter bombers from a Guristas Wyvern Supercarrier
The difficulty of these missions varies a lot. The Talos mission can be completed in a properly fit and flown Heavy Assault Cruiser and often gives faction loot while the Wyvern one is rarely run because of length, difficulty and poor rewards.