RELATED UNI-WIKI REFERENCES
Freedom is liquid, supple, mellifluous. It surrounds us, engulfs our bodies, drowns our fear. We plumb freedom's depths and consume the nourishment within. From these waters, we are born; when we die, we shall return to those waters.
Gallente Defensive Systems bonuses (per skill level):
The Proteus is the Gallente Strategic Cruiser. It is, by a wide margin, the least popular T3 cruiser in Known Space. This is due to a number of reasons, including limited mid slots (you can only fit a maximum of four), and the sometimes odd bonuses of its subsystems. Update: The Proteus has been gaining popularity since the changes to medium railguns as a mid range damage dealing brawler. However, in Wormhole Space, it is one of the most popular T3 cruisers, as range doesn't matter as much and it has massive tank and DPS. Capable of putting out nearly 1200 DPS while still maintaining tank advantage over other armor brawling T3s, it is the king of W-space T3 PvP combat. With the correct subsystems and fitting skills, a Proteus can be a very tenacious opponent in PvP and can take on battleships in heated combat.
It is not a good choice for missions, due to its limited range with blasters and poor tracking with railguns. These attributes also prevent it from doing well in incursions. It has a small number of mid slots compared to other T3s like the Loki or Tengu, so it has limited ability to fit utility modules like webs. In the hands of a skilled pilot who knows what they're doing, however, a Proteus can be an asset to whatever fleet picks it up. The Proteus has a good niche as a cloaky PvP ganker. Its ability to fit a Covert Ops cloak, high DPS blasters, and an extended range point or scram makes it excellent for decloaking on someone, annihilating them quickly, and escaping before their friends can respond.
To fly a Proteus (or any other Tech 3 Cruiser for that matter), you will want a strong set of core skills (Power Grid Management 5, CPU Management 5, Weapon Upgrades 5, Gunnery 5, etc). Some of these skills are already included in the prerequisites, but there are some skills that are not technically required to fly it that are HIGHLY recommended before flying. Among these are :
- T2 Armor Tanking - Hull Upgrades 5, Armor Compensations at least to 3 (preferably 4) - ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY!
- Fitting Skills - Power Grid Management and CPU Management 5 are prerequisites. It is also recommended to have Weapon Upgrades to 5 (for Advanced Weapon Upgrades[AWU]), and AWU to at least 3 or 4
- Strat Cruiser Skills - Gallente Strategic Cruiser to 3 (if you overheat a lot, train this higher). Defensive subsystem should be at 5 with the others at 4 (5 is preferable, especially for offensive and electronic).
- T2 Blasters - Medium Blasters 5, Medium Blaster Specialization 3 - Flying a T2 or T3 DD ship without T2 weapons will lead to mockery of your lossmails.
- T2 Drones - To make use of your 75m3 Drone bay, having T2 drones is vital. Of course as a Gallente pilot you should definitely have at least some basic drone skills already
- Gunnery Support Skills - Try to have all applicable gunnery supports up to at least 4, especially Controlled Bursts (Cap is life!) Again these are not necessarily needed, but highly recommended.
- Other PvP Skills: Proteus is bonused to reduce heat damage, and requires Engineering 5. Thermodynamics up a few levels (at least 3) is a no brainer. Skills in the Navigation set such as Evasive Maneuvering, Acceleration Control, etc, are important for moving about the battlefield, and can help with tanking as well. In addition T2 warp disruption (including scrams) are a quick train and definitely worth the time if you haven't gotten them already
For more info on fittings, please go here
In PvP, the Proteus is normally a brawling ship. Get in close on your enemies, blast them with the high DPS of blasters and broadcast for reps if you're primaried. Use your range-bonused point to stop enemies escaping your grasp (if this is combined with Loki webs you make a very effective tackling pair). While you are not being shot it can be worth trying to lower your transversal to the target (keeping at range or sitting still) to apply full DPS with Void.
You can write additional notes for Proteus here.