Drake Navy Issue
RELATED UNI-WIKI REFERENCES
After the resounding success tied to the launch of the Drake-class Battlecruiser, the Caldari Navy signed up a massive order to acquire a specific version for its own arsenals. The outcome, the Drake Navy Issue, while sharing a similar look with its step-father, serves a completely different purpose on the battlefield. Being more mobile, able to project missiles more effectively at range, against smaller targets and on a wider selection of damage types, this ship is ideal to support small scale conflicts and raids.
Caldari Battlecruiser skill bonus per level:
Introduced with the Odyssey expansion, the Drake Navy Issue (aka the DNI) is the faction version of the hugely popular Drake battlecruiser. It loses the Drake's resistance and kinetic damage bonuses in favor of more shield, two more launcher slots, and bonuses to missile velocity and explosion radius. The resistance swap for shield size slightly favors the DNI and improves with skills, but what really changes is the way the DNI engages targets. It gains a huge range boost, targeting and hitting targets past 70km with lvl 4 skills and heavy missiles. It does approximately the same amount of damage as the vanilla Drake, but now uses a variety of mission-specific missiles (which gives it equivalent DPS to all rats, not just kinetic-vulnerable ones) and deals much better with frigates. It's also faster and more agile due to weight loss.
However, you lose the high utility slot and your wrecks are going to be more spread out (because you engaged them further away), so a new DNI owner will probably stop self-looting their L3 missions in favor of completing them faster.
You can also equip your DNI with HAMs for a 100+ DPS increase at the expense of half your range, half your tank, and 10,000 EHP.
- Caldari Battlecruiser to at least IV to take advantage of the Drake Navy Issue's strong damage application.
- Missile skills depend on your use for the DNI. L3 mission fits use Heavy Missiles; train to IV and use Arbalest (Meta 4) or Caldari Navy HMLs. Drakes are widely used in factional PvP, and Heavy Assault Missiles can be trained for that to IV minimum. T2 launchers and the accompanying T2 ammo requires Heavy Missiles/Heavy Assault Missiles V and Heavy Missile Specialization/Heavy Assault Missile Specialization to at least I; this is a 10-day-ish train that isn't worth it if your intent is only to get to L4 missions. However, it can be worth it: you'll get to use T2 HMLs on your Tengu down the road, and if you're grinding reputation, there are a lot more L3 missions in your future.
- Missile Launcher Operation, Rapid Launch, Warhead Upgrades, skills which increase DPS and are thus vital to all missile-based damage dealing ships, should all be trained to at least IV.
- Along with the requisite Engineering and Electronic Systems skills required for adequately fitting most ships. Weapon upgrades and Advanced Weapon Upgrades should be trained to V and IV respectively to help alleviate fitting problems.
- Guided Missile Precision, Target Navigation Prediction and Target Painting to at least IV to combat smaller targets and gain access to the T2 Target Painter module.
- Missile Projection and Missile Bombardment to at least IV and ideally V to maximize the range at which all missiles travel.
- Drones V, Combat Drone Operation V, Drone Interfacing IV and Gallente Drone Operation I/Minmatar Drone Operation I are all are important for getting as much DPS out of the 25m3 drone bay as possible.
- Due to the Drake Navy Issue's inherent shield tanking ability, Shield Operation, Shield Management, and Tactical Shield Manipulation should be trained to at least IV to improve shield capacity, recharge rate and impenetrability.
- Shield Upgrades should be trained to IV to allow the use of T2 Shield Hardeners, Resistance Amplifiers, Shield Power Relays, Shield Extenders and Shield Rechargers.
- If you are using passive shield hardeners, EM Shield Compensation, Thermal Shield Compensation, Kinetic Shield Compensation, and Explosive Shield Compensation trained to level IV will further improve shield resistances. Note these skills have no impact on Adaptive Invulnerability Fields or other active hardeners.
- Shield Rigging 1 is necessary for the Medium Core Defense Field Purger I rig, and Launcher Rigging IV is necessary for a Medium Warhead Calefaction Catalyst II rig to improve DPS instead of tank.
- Finally, Hull Upgrades should be trained to level IV to allow use of the T2 Damage Control module.
For more info on fittings, please go here
No sub-article about Drake Navy Issue roles or piloting tactics. You can write them here.
No notes for Drake Navy Issue.