RELATED UNI-WIKI REFERENCES
The Raven is the powerhouse of the Caldari Navy. With its myriad launcher slots and powerful shields, few ships can rival it in strength or majesty.
Caldari Battleship bonuses (per skill level):
The Raven is a dedicated missile boat, that can be fitted with either cruise missile launchers or torpedo launchers and has equal bonuses to both. It is a very popular PvE level 4 mission runner, since it can use any missile ammunition equally well, allowing free choice of damage type. Their low speed and less-than-stellar tank make Ravens a rarer sight in PvP, though torpedo firing Ravens can make a serious dent in enemy battleships... if they can get in range. When fit with cruise missiles ravens have excellent range without needing to sacrifice slots on tracking enhancers or computers. In PvE this is a nice advantage, but in PvP the long travel time of the missile gives the target ample time to align and warp away unless it is held by a tackler, making ravens unpopular PvP snipers.
- Caldari Battleship to at least IV to take advantage of the DPS and range Buffs that come with every extra level in the skill.
- The usual L4 mission fit uses Cruise Missiles; train to IV and use Arbalest (Meta 4) or Caldari Navy (Faction) Cruise Missile launchers to get started. T2 Launchers and the accompanying T2 ammo requires Cruise Missiles V and Cruise Missile Specialization, a half-month train that isn't really useful outside of missioning battleships. However, if you plan on a career as a Raven L4 missioner, it's worth it for the productivity gain. Torpedos are not typically used as they only offer a slight (<10%) DPS gain for a quite severe range penalty.
- Missile Launcher Operation, Rapid Launch, Warhead Upgrades, skills which increase DPS and are thus vital to all missile-based damage dealing ships, should all be trained to at least IV.
- Along with the requisite Engineering and Electronic Systems skills required for adequately fitting most ships. Weapon upgrades and Advanced Weapon Upgrades should be trained to V and IV respectively to help alleviate fitting problems.
- Guided Missile Precision, Target Navigation Prediction and Target Painting to at least IV to combat smaller targets and gain access to the T2 Target Painter module.
- Electronic Warfare should be trained to level III to allow training of Long Distance Jamming which increases the optimal range of target painters by 10% per level.
- Missile Projection and Missile Bombardment to at least IV and ideally V to maximize the range at which all missiles travel.
- Drones V, Combat Drone Operation V, Drone Interfacing IV and Gallente Drone Operation I/Minmatar Drone Operation I are all are important for getting as much DPS out of the drone bay as possible.
- Shield Operation and Shield Management should be trained to at least IV to improve shield capacity and recharge rate.
- Tactical Shield Manipulation should be trained to IV reduce shield penetration chance and to allow the use of the T2 Shield Hardeners, taking it to V is considered by some to be a net negative to survivability.
- Shield Upgrades should be trained to IV to allow the use of T2 Resistance Amplifiers, Shield Boosters, Shield Power Relays, Shield Extenders and Shield Rechargers.
- EM Shield Compensation, Thermal Shield Compensation, Kinetic Shield Compensation, and Explosive Shield Compensation trained to level IV to further improve shield resistances.
- Finally, Hull Upgrades should be trained to level IV to allow use of the T2 Damage Control module.
For more info on fittings, please go here
The Raven is primarily used in PVE, specifically mission running, due to its reliance on missiles for damage dealing. Missiles take time to reach their target, invalidating or handicapping their use in certain other roles.
If you've come to the Raven via the Drake, you're used to being cap stable all the time. No longer. Leave your afterburner and shield booster off most of the time. When your shield drops to about 40%-33%, pulse your shield booster to keep your shield in that range. Always keep an eye on your available capacitor charge; if you start to run low, warp out and recharge. Be aware that using your AB compromises your cap, and therefore your ability to tank damage.
Your mission weakness is going to be frigates; killing these with cruise missiles is slow. Always carry a flight of light scout drones and use these to kill frigates. If you're facing elite frigates or interceptors that attack your drones, recall your drones, ignore the frigates, and only kill them last if you have to.
When you've got the money, consider buying a Caldari Navy/Guristas X-Large Shield Booster to replace your Meta 4 or T2 booster, and Caldari Navy Ballistic Control Systems to replace your BCS IIs. From there, your money can go into Caldari Navy CMLs or into a
. Note that the Caldari Navy CMLs have a much higher CPU requirement than the Arbalests, so check your fitting in EFT with your skills to see if you can run them.
You can add notes here.
|A long, long time ago...|
October 2019 Release - 2019-10-15.1
Every Cruiser, Battlecruiser and Battleship now warps faster than before.