RELATED UNI-WIKI REFERENCES
The mining barge was designed by ORE to facilitate advancing the mining profession to a new level. Each barge was created to excel at a specific function, the Retriever's being storage. Although it only has space to fit two mining or ice harvesting modules, a fast loading system allows those two modules to do the work of three modules.
Mining Barge bonuses (per skill level):
Of the mining barges, the Retriever has the largest ore bay—jet-can size at 27,500 m3—whilst being in the middle for hit points and yield, thus making the Retriever most useful for solo mining by reducing the frequency of trips to unload. Additionally, the Retriever can fit an adequate tank to survive a suicide gank. cf. http://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/p/why-was-i-ganked.html
Further information about additional or recommended skills to pilot Procurer for a specific or it's common role(s) can be written here.
For more info on fittings, please go here
- Suicide ganking is a popular play-style and miners are prime targets; cf. Why Was I Ganked? and Suicide Ganking 101 slides
- Fit enough tank to survive the ganker's DPS long enough for CONCORD to destroy the ganker; as of Rubicon 1.2, this means surviving a Catalyst's 728.2 DPS for 25 seconds—18,205 Void damage—in a 0.5 system
- Use and keep launched ECM drones
- This lets gankers know that you are expecting them and implies you are tanked for them; this is deterrence
- This provides a chance to break the ganker's target lock for 20 seconds
- One Hobgoblin I is sufficient to destroy NPC pirates, leaving room for four ECM drones or three ECM drones and a salvage drone
- Setting drones to aggressive lets them engage your aggressor without having to target-lock first (see Using Drones)
- Fitting expensive meta modules may compel a duo gank due to their high-value loot chance
- Trade hubs (especially Hek) and ice belt systems are popular hunting grounds for gankers
- Mine aligned to a celestial/station for faster warp-out
- Warping out when a non-mining ship enters your belt/anomaly is prudent
- Other mining ships may be scouts for gankers; it is good to know who your neighbours are and put known gankers on your contact list with terrible standing
- If attacked, overload your tank modules
- Mining in a fleet--even just two miners--provides boosts with Leadership skill and Mining Foreman
- It is impolite (and diminishes yield) to mine a rock someone else is already mining: when the rock runs out of ore, the first laser to cycle will get the last ore but the other lasers will continue to cycle (up to 3 minutes) and get nothing
You can add notes here.