RELATED UNI-WIKI REFERENCES
While its utilitarian look may not give much of an indication, many are convinced that the Machariel is based on an ancient Jovian design uncovered by the Angel Cartel in one of their extensive exploratory raids into uncharted territory some years ago. Whatever the case may be, this behemoth appeared on the scene suddenly and with little fanfare, and has very quickly become one of the Arch Angels' staple war vessels.
Gallente Battleship bonuses (per skill level):
The Machariel is both the ultimate Fast Battleship, and the penultimate projectile turret battleship. It features the fastest engines and warp drive of any battleship, the second-highest damage output of any projectile battleship (25% fire rate and 25% damage on 7 guns; surpassed only by the Vargur), and even extended turret range (falloff), making it both one of the best autocannon battleships (by range, DPS, and utility slots) and one of the best artillery battleships (by alpha strike power). It also has a very large model, which when combined with its 8 high slots and increased warp speed make it one of the most favored Smartbomb ships in the game, to the point that it is commonly found in Lowsec Gatecamps and even running some PVE sites with pure Smartbomb layouts. Its high speed and turret damage make it popular in both high-level mission running and some PVP fleet applications, despite its high price tag. Its greatest drawbacks are, first, while its 8-6-6 slot layout lends it to being either shield- or armor-tanked, it will be somewhat less durable than most other battleship which feature 7 or even 8 mid or low slots; and second, autocannons and artillery in general have issues that interfere with them reaching their maximum potential, which is why Machariels have fallen out of favor in the Incursion community.
These are the minimum recommended skills to train before flying a Machariel. While you can use it with less SP, you will quickly realize that you're not very effective.
- Minmatar Battleship III, Gallente Battleship III - First of all you obviously need the skills to sit in a ship and you should train them to at least III, better IV.
- Large Projectile Turret III - The Machariel uses Large Projectile Turrets, therefor you should train it to at least III, again IV is an excellent investment aswell.
- Gunnery V, Motion Prediction IV, Rapid Firing IV, Sharpshooter IV, Surgical Strike IV, Trajectory Analysis IV - Every single one of these skills will either directly or indirectly increase your DPS, they are mandatory to train before sitting in a Machariel. Heads up: they will also greatly increase your effectiveness in every other Gunboat.
- Drones V, Drone Avionics III, Light Drone Operation V, Medium Drone Operation III, Drone Interfacing III, Drone Navigation III, Drone Durability III, Drone Sharpshooting III, Amarr, Caldari, Gallente and Minmatar Drone Specialization to III - While Drones are not your primary source of Damage in a Machariel, they are still extremly important for killing smaller ships that are too fast for your guns to hit. Again, these are universally mandatory skills to have for the majority of Ships in the Game.
- CPU Management V, Power Grid Management V, Weapon Upgrades V, Advanced Weapon Upgrades V - These skills are impossible to evaluate on how high you should train them to fit your Machariel since it entirely relies on the fit you chose. Check your intended fits with an external Tool like PYFA first and figure out how many SP you need to invest. Generally speaking, getting all of them to V is a good idea since the train is pretty quick and will help with literally every Ship in the game. Power grid is especially important with Machariels because the most common fleet fits use both armor and artillery. Since artillery and armor plates both consume a huge amount of power grid, even with perfect skills, it's impossible to fit Tech II guns, so without perfect power grid skills, pilots will likely need to use implants (which are fairly cheap) in order to make up the difference.
- Capacitor Management IV, Capacitor Systems Operation IV, Shield Compensation IV - You will want to fit active hardeners on shield ships in most situations, therefor your Capacitor is directly linked to your Tank which makes these skills mandatory.
- Shield Operation IV, Shield Management IV, Tactical Shield Manipulation IV, Shield Upgrades IV, EM, Thermal, Kinetic and Explosive Shield Compensation IV - Tank is life and you want to stay alive, don't ya? These skills will improve your Tank dramatically and give you access to important T2 Modules like Hardeners.
I know, the amount of skills you actually need to fly an expensive Battleship like the Machariel effectively is intimidating, however they're not specialized at all and will vastly improve your Character as a whole flying pretty much any ship. Once you're done with these skills, you will also find yourself flying one of the best Ships in the game and rain havoc with it.
Important note: If your Fit will use modules that are not covered by this list, make sure you have the skills to support it, generally it is always wise to fit at least T2 modules on an expensive Hull like this, excluding Weapons, these can get Meta'd down, however T2 Guns will increase your DPS by a ton.
The Machariel can be found in a variety of roles and fleet sizes. In terms of PVE, levels 4 are the main target for this ship. However, due to the high cost of the hull and modules, it is a very risky ship to use as it is a very tempting target for pirates. In terms of PVP, the Machariel shines in small engagements. One potential use would be to team up with a tackle and pick off stragglers from a larger fleet. The warp speed and acceleration bonus helps decrease the chance of losing the tackle before you land on grid.
Other than picking off stragglers, the Machariel has a decent leg up on other comparable battleships. The high DPS and speed tanking abilities make for a deadly combination. Although the Nightmare has a larger role bonus for damage, the Machariel has more options for tuning damage types. Also, the Machariel will outperform the Nightmare outside of the 40 km sweet spot in terms of raw damage. Most importantly,the incredible agility of the ship allows for great speed tanking, especially when matched with other battleships.
In the past, the Machariel was also an excellent hull for Sansha Incursion fleets. However, after the Surgical Strike patch of 2020, the Machariel began to fall out of favor in Incursion communities, and the Nightmare and Leshak started to become more optimal Incursion ships. However, the EVE University Incursion Community still use Machariels.
When viewed in game as an item, the Machariel's warp speed will be shown as 3 AU/s. This is due to the 25% warp speed bonus only being applied when a capsuleer enters the ship.
|A long, long time ago...|
18.04 Release - Build: 1706308 - 2020-04-15 - "Surgical Strike" Update (Patch Notes)
November 2019 Release v.1.1 - Build: 1617768 - 2019-11-26
October 2019 Release - 2019-10-15.1
Every Cruiser, Battlecruiser and Battleship now warps faster than before.
March 2018 v.1.0 - Released 2018-03-20
We looked at a lot of approaches for the Machariel and eventually decided that shifting a low slot to a mid was the best course. We hope it keeps the Machariel intact as a strong skirmisher with even more utility options than before while lowering its value as an armor-based fleet brawler.
Kronos v.1.0 - Build: 797363 - Released 2014-06-03
Gallente Battleship Bonus:
Minmatar Battleship Bonus: