RELATED UNI-WIKI REFERENCES
This was one of the first vessels the Sisters of EVE made available to capsuleers. It had been under development by the Sanctuary corporation, whose interest in exploration includes not only search & rescue operations but also a constant inquiry into the nature of the EVE Gate. Thanks to the Sisters' efforts and the Sanctuary's particular expertise, the Astero is an agile, tenacious ship that aptly adheres to the mantra of both rescuers and explorers: Stay safe, stay hidden, and use every tool at your disposal.
Gallente Frigate bonuses (per skill level):
The Astero is the frigate of the Sisters of Eve faction, introduced in Rubicon 1.0. It has bonuses to drones and armor resists, the largest drone bay available in the frigate class, and the ability to fit a Covert Ops cloak.
The Astero is primarily designed as a cloaky exploration ship, with a particular emphasis on extended operation away from stations. It is a prominent PvP frigate, and can kill other frigates with ease, which make it especially suitable for ganking other low/null/WH explorers. This PvP-focused nature is supplemented by the Covert Ops Cloak, which enable the Astero to pick its fights. As a result of this combination of exploration bonuses, covert ops cloak, and excellent PvP capabilities, the Astero is a popular ship in low, null, and WH space exploration.
The Astero is the only T1 ship that can fit a Covert Ops cloak, meaning it could be an attractive cloaky scout for lower skilled players. However, besides being expensive for the job, the Astero has the major drawback that it does not have the CPU that other scanning frigates and covert ops ships have, meaning it must make many fitting trade-offs to fit an expanded probe launcher, which is normally a standard part of a cloaky scout's fit.
- Cloaking IV: DO NOT UNDOCK the Astero until you can fit the Covert Ops Cloak.
- Hull Upgrades V: Another vital skill, for fitting T2 Tank.
- Amarr Frigate IV/V: The higher this skill the more you're likely to take the Astero through a High Sec Ghost Site intact.
- Astrometrics IV: Not necessary for Ghost Sites, but if you're running exploration in null/w-space, some signatures can be a pain to scan down with low skills. It's also recommended to get at least Level 3 in the Astrometric Support skills: Acquisition, Pinpointing and Rangefinding.
- Hacking III/IV: The more Virus Coherence you have to play with in breaking open cans, the better. In Ghost Sites it can make the difference between getting away with loot or getting AOE damage in the face.
No sub-article about Astero roles or piloting tactics. You can write them here.
In the Astero only highsec Ghost Sites are doable, and only with high Amarr Frigate skill and T2 tank modules.